Existing Member?

Woot! for Navigation Skills This trip has been a plan in process for over a year. Now the time has come for us to galavant across far-off nations and discover hidden treasures in ancient ruins and all that sort of jazz. We shall keep you updated on our adventures as they occur...

Polsstokspringen (To Jump a Canal...)

CANADA | Tuesday, 22 May 2007 | Views [1029] | Comments [3]

Laundry is a must after you jump a canal, or should we say fall into a canal...  We felt very confident leaving the house that we would return dry.  We lied to ourselves!  In Frisian jumping the water canals is considered a sport involving big canals as well as small canals.  We looked like hardcore farmers with rubber boots, way too big blue t-shirts with the rolled up sleeves, and our poles in hand. 

The first jump was very nerve-racking.  Denae, figuring that she did not need to start on the smaller canals, plunged right into the muddy water.  I, the other hand, laughed as I walked around til we came across a smaller canal.  Even then, it took me a long time for my feet to actually leave the ground....still waiting...waiting still....okay finally I mustered up the courage to go.  My flight was successful! 

Oh, and did we mention that the muddy canal water smells like cow extract?  We had a very interesting smell after we both managed to take a dip in the water. We couldn't smell ourselves but Jildou and Ewoud kept reminding us about our stench.  But overall it was a lot of fun.    

Too bad Edmonton does not have canals or else we would share our experience with you.  Maybe one day we can try to jump the river.  Care to join...     

By the way...we like comments.  So feel free to post a comment.  We like those.  They make us happy.  You want us to be happy. 

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

not satasfied with world hopping you have to go cannel hopping and call it a sport no less! Enjoy the cow extract out of it anyway eh?

  Chad May 23, 2007 9:36 AM

2

Hey you 2. Looks like wicked good fun. I love the pics of you two laughing your heads off, trying not to fall into the canal.

Denae, not to be outdone by your travelling adventures I decided to have my own when I went to Ontario. Our flight leaving London was cancelled so we figured we'd stay overnight in the airport. No such luck. Not in London. You'd think airports would stay open overnight, but I guess London, ON is more concerned with sucking than anything else. So we slept outside of the airport. We flipped a couple benches over to make a windbreak and then started layering our clothes for warmth (rain and wind also suck). Of course the only clothes we had were dress clothes (for the presentation). So we were two well dressed bums. I had my buddy's suit jacket for a blanket, and he used the travel bag with the pants still in it. Swim trunks doubled as night caps. Need I go on? :o) Hope you don't have to go through anything like that.

Miss you both

  ryan May 24, 2007 4:01 PM

3

I watched the video of pole jumping, and imagined to myself what you two might have looked like in your Fashionista outfits, smelling like cow excrement. Needless to say, this imagining brought great joy to my life. Miss you girls!

  Kyla Jun 16, 2007 8:24 AM

About denae


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.