Existing Member?

THE Trip - Finally

Shakespeare Land

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 20 February 2010 | Views [361]

Stratford-on-Avon: the birthplace (and deathplace) of the Bard himself. It’s a beautiful place and I wish I could explore it without all this bloody snow! It started to snow as soon as we stepped off the train and hasn’t eased up. My bag and contents are completely soaked, and my fellow Aussie can’t feel her toes but that hasn’t stopped us from walking the town and doing every FREE thing we can. I still can’t access money and a lot of the exhibitions feel overly ‘touristy’ for my taste so we’ve just been walking around and seeing all the buildings-of-interest from the outside.

 

Much of the town seems to revolve around the tourism trade from the plethora of souvenir stores (one on every block) to the cafes and shops with names like ‘Mistress Quickly’s’, ‘Romeo & Juliet’s’(an adult shop) and ‘The Sweet Prince’. Okay I made up the last one but there are so many sweet and chocolate shops in the town I’m surprised someone hasn’t used it yet. I don’t know how Shakespeare would feel about ‘Romeo & Juliet’ being the name of an adult shop but I think it’s kind of cute.

 

Sadly no trinkets or remembrances due to my very own ‘financial crisis’ but I have images burned into my memory that will suffice!

Tags: shakespeare

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.