Existing Member?

THE Trip - Finally

Money woes in the UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 20 February 2010 | Views [273]

Okay, so I know travellers often run into ‘money woes’ but I really never expected this!

 

When I arrived at Heathrow Airport the first thing I did (or tried to do) was use an ATM to get out some British money – not going to getting very far with at least a couple of quid in my pocket. I tried an ATM which looked like the ‘non-bank’ types but it was all I could see. This service is not available at this time. Is the message that greeted me. I tried two other machines both with the same result. Okay, I thought, maybe I need to use a genuine Bank ATM. Fortunately I still had $US100 so I changed that and had a few pounds to play with (by play I mean, pay for transport to where I was staying).

 

The next day I found a Bank ATM (four different ones actually) all with the same result. WTF? After discovering that there was no way to contact my bank online and not being able to contact them by phone, I did what I imagine many travelers do … I called my Mum.

 

Anyway, a number of phone calls and emails later it was revealed that my account had indeed been frozen due to a ‘questionable transaction’. The transaction? Paying my airfare to a non-European airline. I confirmed that, yes, I had authorized this transaction and was told that my account would be accessible within 24hrs. This was Tuesday. It is now Saturday and I still have no joy.

 

It is embarrassing, to say the least, not having any cash and having to rely on the kindness and generosity of other cash-strapped travelers and locals. I have money, I just can’t get at it.

 

I do understand that the bank is looking out for their clients by flagging ‘questionable transactions’ but I find the situation terribly frustrating. I have now had to alter travel plans, forgo sightseeing opportunities and basically be a pauper. Okay, so it has stopped me from spending money on frivolities. And I have definitely learned how very generous and understanding people can be. So some good has come from this.

 

Right now however I am so ready to leave this bank. Which bank? Exactly!

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.