Existing Member?

Rest * Explore * Give

Ubud

INDONESIA | Thursday, 17 July 2014 | Views [1202] | Comments [3]

Ok, so I give, raise the white flag! I can’t seem to get pics loaded on my blog so I’m just going to write in here and attach pics and videos later. I really want to share some of this stuff with you!

I’m in Bondalem, the North side of the Island right now and will write about that a little later, but have some catching up to do!

 I arrived in Ubud on June 27th and checked into my beautiful hotel surrounded by rice fields and two pretty pools. The infinity pool that overlooked the rice fields was unbelievable. I wanted to write during the 10 days that I was there but the wifi did not work very well (dealing with that now again). Not frustrating, just part of being here J. But I have so much I want to tell you and share with you. Ubud was amazing!

 The next morning I headed out to yoga at Radiantly Alive where I took about 15 classes over the following two weeks. They had so much variety that I felt like a kid in a candy store and since I bought a 2-week unlimited pass, I wanted to do all the classes each day. It’s probably a good thing that some of the classes overlapped so I was limited! Anyway, first day was Acro yoga where you practice in pairs and balance each other in different poses. It was fun. I balanced a 6’5” man on my legs! Then there was Roll & Release where you roll around on tennis balls into tight muscles. Holy hanna that hurt! And then felt so good afterward. Across the street was this cafe named Bali Buddha which I LOVED! I was there almost every day. I found out I must be gluten free for the next year just before leaving on this trip and this place was heaven for that. The healthy smoothies! Organic ingredients! Gluten free chocolate cake! YUM!!!

 Saturday night I went to Yoga Barn and bought another 10-class pack. Not sure what I was thinking with two studios but it soon became clear to me that this studio had more variety and some evening events. I attended the Tibetan Bell Meditation. It was a sold out crowd and a beautiful event. Yoga Barn also has an amazing café with all the food that I can eat! Fantastic and free wifi! Although it didn’t work all that well.

 From here I won’t give you the daily but a few things that I noticed and wanted to share…

 Remember the rooster from my hotel in Gili Trawangan? Well, in my new hotel, there was a caged bird right outside my door that would wolf whistle anytime someone walked by. It made me smile every time! And thankfully he didn’t start before 6:30 in the morning. He sure could teach those roosters something about timing!

 Being a pedestrian in Bali is dangerous. You are lowest on the totem pole! First, the sidewalks are just a nightmare frankly! Uneven is being generous. Gaping holes, foot and half rises, and an alter right in the middle (ha?) are just some of the challenges. Then, if the streets are crowded, the motor bikes drive on the sidewalk and beep at you to get out of the way! The area where I spent most of my time, Monkey Forest Road, is a one way street but motorbikes go both directions  - legal?, who cares. Crossing the street is treacherous and they drive on the other side of the road. Clearly I’m still alive so it’s doable!

 It’s a Bug’s Life!

Oh boy, let me tell you there are bugs here. I know they are worse in other places but the other night I was sharing my bed with an inch long ant and I couldn’t catch him! Ants crawl all over the yoga mats while we’re practicing. A grasshopper the size of my hand stopped into our yoga class one night and the gecko’s are everywhere. Did you know they bark a little like a dog?

Monkey Forest Drive has, you guessed it, a Monkey Forest! I never ended up going in the forest as I saw plenty of monkeys as I passed it each morning and after I moved hotels, they were sitting on my balcony every morning. My first experience, I witnessed a man buying a bunch of bananas to give to the monkeys and as soon as he turned around one of the largest monkeys climbed up him and stole the whole bunch. Unfortunately I didn’t get a pic of HIS face but imagine the fear! Those little suckers will bite!

 I was in Bali almost three weeks before succumbing to Bali Belly which is a cute term that refers to being very sick! Thankfully I had an arsenal of herbs to help me through quickly and didn’t have to resort to the antibiotics but it was a tough couple of days. The guys in my hotel were very helpful…bringing me tea and water.

 Speaking of people, the people in Bali are very very very sweet! Kind, grateful, superstitious. When you buy something in a shop they touch the money to other goods in the store for good luck. Every morning the women prepare offerings to the gods and place them in front of their business, home, altars and we saw a new truck being blessed one day! You can feel the serenity here amongst the traffic and massive amounts of people. It all works and feels really good.  That’s what is called Bali Spirit and it can’t really be put fully into words.

Within two days of being here I actually felt like I wanted to cancel the rest of my trip and just stay in Bali. That’s the Spirit. I have since come to grips with that and will be merrily on my way July 31st J

One of the wonderful things about Bali is the price of massages. I went to Sang Spa and had a 1.5 hr massage, detox body wrap and flower bath for $30 and that was a more expensive spa. The spa’s and little massage places are everywhere and women are on the streets asking everyone who walks by if they want a massage. Sitting right next to them are their husbands asking if you need a taxi. You can’t walk 5 feet without hearing “massage” or “taxi” at least once so a long walk requires patience and kindness with a knowing that they are just trying to make a living.

 I met quite a few people in Ubud, mostly Australians as Bali is very close for them but the one person I really connected with was Roberta. She’s from Bergamo, where Luca is from, and lives in London. She quit her job in March and is traveling just as I am. She was also in Finance. Small world! We had some great conversations!

So that is my catch up from Ubud. I’ve been here at the Yandara yoga teacher training since July 11 and today we have a half day off so I was determined to catch up. I will write more about this place. It’s magnificent. I’m having an amazing time.

Love you all!

 

 

Comments

1

Really enjoyed reading about your adventures!! Can't wait to see your pictures!! Safe travels!! Love you!

  Julie Jul 18, 2014 10:27 PM

2

Sounds like you are having a great time!! I liked reading your blog and it sounds Ike a relaxing place. Enjoy the rest of your trip

  Melissa Jul 19, 2014 1:43 AM

3

Awesome Denise! Love hearing about your adventures! So excited for you, you deserve it all!! XO Lil

  Lillian Jul 19, 2014 11:22 AM

About dellyson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.