Existing Member?

Rest * Explore * Give

Gili Trawangan

INDONESIA | Monday, 30 June 2014 | Views [292]

Left the party town of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak for the the tiny island of Gili Trawangan and what an adventure that was! An hour and half bus ride to the boat which was actually a fun experience until we got there...this boat does not "dock", it pulls up to the beach and you carefully scale along the side of the boat (maybe 4 inches of walking space) with your carryon bags and then climb down a rickety wood ladder into the water! What an adventure! The return trip was less than stellar - we were required to carry our luggage into the ocean to load on the boat. There's quite a bit of drinking on Gili T so many people were puking off the back of the boat!

My hotel was about 700 meters from the dock which required a horse and buggy ride due to the severe potholes. Hopefully the video attaches. No shock absorbers on this ride! Gili T was fantastic! Wonderful people, great, fresh seafood, excellent yoga teachers and amazing sunsets. I walked from the East side of Gili (which means island) through the center to the West side for the sunset and it took all of 20 minutes. No cars on Gili. 

My hotel was adorable, run by an Italian couple. Meticulously clean. The staff was washing the plants! And there was an incredible amount of sweeping happening in Gili T! Gotta keep the dirt roads tidy and the sand out of the shops. No shoes inside stores. 

As much as I loved it, there isn't much to do but sun, eat and drink and only one yoga studio with two classes a day so I was ready to go when it was time. Plus, there was this rooster who lived behind my hotel who didn't know that he was not supposed to start crowing until it was light out. Once he started, it was a chain reaction! I had earplugs but it did not help. I was ready to make rooster soup!

 

About dellyson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.