Existing Member?

Tales from the Rugby World Cup

Oct. 23 - World Cup Final

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 25 October 2011 | Views [432]

After the Final outside Eden Park

After the Final outside Eden Park

Five Best Sensory Experiences from the day of the Rugby World Cup Final

Sound: The incredibly beautiful voice of Hayley Westenra rehearsing the “World in Union” as we walked past Eden Park 5 hours before kick-off. We were on our way to pick up Tom’s press pass and find a pub to soak up some atmosphere when her voice reached out and pulled us to the fence outside the stadium where we stood entranced.

Taste: A juicy roast pork sandwich on a fresh roll picked up as we wandered the Eden Park area in the sea of black shirted All Black fans and an occasional ripple of Les Bleus supporters.

Sight: The French team in V-formation walking determinedly toward the All Blacks as they performed their haka before the match. It was a sign of the determination the French would bring to the 80 minutes of match time.

Feel: The thrill of a once in a lifetime experience as  fireworks exploded,  Hayley Westenra sang  “Now is the Hour”,  and the All Blacks accepted their gold medals and took their victory lap. Sixty-one thousand fans were on their feet cheering and a nation of 4 million breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Smell: The deliciously sweet smell of jasmine as we walked back tired and elated to the Bamber House hostel (our home in Auckland for the past 10 days) on a pleasantly cool spring evening after celebrating at the Eden Rugby Club.

Tags: rugby world cup final

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.