Existing Member?

DandG Hideaway

Bangkok Night & Day

THAILAND | Sunday, 22 October 2006 | Views [1048] | Comments [7]

multi-levelled living in central bangkok - shopping, street and skytrain

multi-levelled living in central bangkok - shopping, street and skytrain

So we finally made it and although we're (severely) jet-lagged, we're loving it. Bangkok is such a colourful and fun place, even the drive on the highway from the airport was fascinating. The taxis here are a multitude of colours (I like the bright pink ones best!) and their buses covered in graffiti style art with minnie mouse, manga stars and smiley faces. Of course, we instantly noticed a few things which made us feel more at home, for example this must be one of the only other nations to drive on the left hand side and, of course, we saw Tesco! (I wonder if they have a cafe?) you just can't get away from them now!

Our first night we went out for dinner and had a nice slap up meal to treat ourselves. It was strange, this classy restaurant and the view from the window - girly go-go bar! Doing traditional Thai ping-pong dancing!

Saturday was a market day for us. After waking up (really!) late we went to North Bangkok on the uber-slick metro  (their updated version of ourunderground).  Gary was totally fascinated by the fact that instead of paper tickets you get a black plastic token with a computer chip inside it... it must be a boy thing. 

When we got to the Chatuchak Weekend Market it was a bit of a shock. I don't think any description or pic could do justice to the sheer mass of people, crushing heat and miles and miles of warren-like stalls. It was definitely hard work but worth it. We then did the silly tourist thing of trying to find a vege restaurant with very vague description from our travel guide. THAT took up about an hour of frustrating search and we STILL didn't find it!  We ended up bringing back a cap and an alarm clock (BTW do NOT bother with Tesco value 49p value alarm clock it doesn't work standing upright, not sure about horizontally).

Dinner was at A & Ws which is like MacDonalds but better (come on give us a break, it's our last chance for fast-food). For those who know it - Deena got a nice fiz of Root Beer float and curly fries. You get a sweet chilli sauce here alongside the ketchup- yum.

After that we took a stroll to ANOTHER market, the Suan Lam Night Bazaar. Gary was drawn there by the Roue De Paris ferris wheel and lasers which you could see from miles away. And YES, he persuaded Deena to go on it even though she was pumped with adrenaline and wingeing (scared of heights) but it was actually amazing with fabulous views over Bangkok. There was a large hall filled with tourists drinking and watching (strangely) a swiss style brass band performing. Hmmmm.... Anyway, it may be touristy but we recommend it, nice atmosphere.

We came back to the room and had showers (my feet were properly BLACK, Mum you would have been proud) and were about to settle down for the night but Gary's tummy started rumbling. So out we went again in search of refreshment. Up til now, we hadn't really understood that we were here during the rainy season and perhaps should have paid some heed to the electric blue flashes of light coming from the sky (commonly know as lightning!).  So we got caught out and drenched!  Gary grabbed some meat on a stick from a street vendor and we dashed back to the hotel. Gary, in his own words, could only smile however Deena was none too happy. Had another shower (the third in an hour).

This morning (Sunday 22nd Oct) we managed to get up early enough to go to the Red Cross Snake Farm which is the second oldest snake farm in the world, set up in 1923 as a medical research institute (yes, we were paying attention to the slide show). It was cool (well, if you're into snakes). While looking around the enclosures Deena hadn't noticed a snake in a tree at, oh about head height. Then she noticed a hissing in her ear. Woops. Later found out it was a king cobra the other side of the mesh!  There was a display which showed how they milk the venom to make anti-venom. The handlers were crazy (and very brave!) and all had been bitten at least twice by deadly snakes - one missing a finger, the other with huge scars from skin grafts.

Tomorrow we're moving on to Kanchunaburi for a week to relax in our African mud hut (you'll see what we mean when I post photos later!) but we've really enjoyed Bangkok much more than we thought... the streets with their smells (delicious grilled food alongside sewage smells) and the colours. Most of all though, everyone's been very friendly and helpful to two uninitiated travellers!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi Deena + Gary,

You must be careful of eating from street vendor; you don't wont food poisoning, not at the beginning of your holiday. It all sounds really exciting we all feel jealous

Robert

  Robert Oct 22, 2006 8:47 PM

2

& you do not come back from a visit to London with pink pinkies ........ Happy Eid

  Mum Oct 22, 2006 8:47 PM

3

Hi
Interesting to read about your mums black feet!
Robert

  Robert Oct 22, 2006 9:01 PM

4

I am so glad you are having a great first few days, wishing we were with you and im bet your glad your missing this great place called home (not). In all the places in the world you have to see a Tesco (bet you thought of us straight away once again, not). Carnt wait for your next update and enjoy your time away. Miss you both.

  julie and cal Oct 23, 2006 1:02 AM

5

yas man. dn't eat too much junk food. sound like you having great. I just gaMe back from france. i bought some rollup for your mum. i,m going to see her today you have a good time. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  saby Oct 27, 2006 9:22 PM

6

I'm Thai.Thank you for your visiting in my country.I hope you feel like Thailand and come to else places in thailand.
Bangkok or ChaiangMai are not abslutely Thailand. If you go other places which are not tourist attraction or bigciy ,you will find a lot of places that you have not discovered.
I would reccommend Tee lae soo waterfall,located in Tak the North of Thailand, the beautiful beach in Krabi, Pai and Mae Hong song ,mountainous town,which mix Burma and Loas culture, the big orchards or farmland in Nakorn Prathom , ratchaburi ,and Supanburi that far 70 km. from Bangkok.
All in all, Thai peaople welcome all foriegners(Thai call Farang) and hope you enjoy in our country or in South East Asia.
(sorry if I do mistake in English because I've start learning English)

  Man Jan 6, 2007 8:01 PM

7

I love thailand
I live BANGKOK amazing BANGKOK THAILANG

  Louis Sep 18, 2008 10:10 PM

About deena_and_gary

Deena Gary Charlie and Dax in the garden in Colchester, Essex

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.