Existing Member?

For the Love of Spanish A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.... Chapter 27

My view from the Best Western

USA | Thursday, 17 January 2008 | Views [295]

I seem to have an uncanny ability to find places that are not in the South, but don't seem to know that.  For example Southeastern Indiana.  I didn't know it was the South until I went to grad school in Richmond IN.  And here in Utah, I find myself in a location Dixie appears everywhere. Dixie High School. Dixie State College. "Dixie" written on the side of a cliff."  What is this all about?  Well, apparently (according to the woman who works at Evelyn's clothing) early Mormon settlers tried to start a cotton crop here, and southern Utah became Atlanta, or Birmingham, minus the people and the accents.

You may be pleased to hear that I have spoken Spanish both days of my stay.  I guess there has been an influx of migrant construction workers and now there's a population of around 20,000 Spanish-speakers in a county of 120,000, this according to the guy who drove me in the shuttle from Las Vegas to St. George.

Speaking of, may I say, it could be possible that I have never experienced such a stark contrast in all my life.  This is my first experience with the Southwest.  So imagine my confusion when I find myself in the plane, looking out the window, seeing as many browns as there were greens in Honduras.  The land is open, exposed, vulnerable, so much so I wondered if it was appropriate to fly right into the city.  It felt kind of like walking into the bedroom of neighbors you've never met.  Envision a stark, rough, sharp landscape, and add to it a city with a couple outrageously large buildings going for bling.  It struck me as absolutely absurd.  One of my first thoughts was, I hope the guy who wrote Desert Solitaire has not seen this. He might spontaneously combust.  He might have moral arguments; mind you, I'm only making an asthetic evaluation. STRANGE pairing. I wouldn't think of topping tortillas with caviar, but.... that's just me.

Having said all this, I find Utah and Nevada to be heart-wrenchingly beautiful.  I now know something of why people experience transformation in the desert. The rugged, barren beauty seeps into the soul.  I'm curious to see how it changes me during this week of backpacking.  I'll report more then. Love to all.

Tags: On the Road

About dc_chick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.