Existing Member?

For the Love of Spanish A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.... Chapter 27

Christmas in July

HONDURAS | Friday, 14 December 2007 | Views [379] | Comments [1]

Today I learned something that intrigued me. In English, Christians refer to the gospel of Jesus as "The Good News." In Spanish, it is called "La Buena Nueva" which is more like, "a juicy tidbit" or the latest gossip.  Now that sounds like a guy you'd want to know, someone making a splash. Definitely more riveting in any case. Kind of like technology, in that, you need to keep paying attention. Something that happened last year is old news. The universe wants to let us in on la buena nueva (even if its truth is old as dirt!)

I'm pleased to report that I went swimming this week. A beautiful sunshiny day. I keep thinking it's summertime.  I'm also happy to report that I haven't heard Christmas songs on more than a handful of occasions so far. As some of you may know, I like saving Christmas for Christmas. And while I don't find the people in Honduras to be more astute religiously than people in the States, they have less money and so the material aspect is that much less (ie. it doesn't seem to take up all of December). New Year's is as big a celebration here as Christmas-- and there are presents for that as well.

I continue to learn alot about "loving what is."  And "what is" here looks like plaintains, beans, eggs, chicken, cheese and tortillas. Also oatmeal that I make for myself every morning. And the family very rarely eats together. It's usually more like musical chairs, and includes the various people who pass through to visit. I can imagine a time in the near future when I will be glad to eat a whole meal with the same people who sit down the entire time.

I have one more week of classes and I'm tackling the subjunctive again. Should be fun.

I'm also happy to report that I'm getting as many honks as ever.  I laughed to myself the other day when a truck passed and didn't offer any whistles, beeps, or "hey pretty lady's" of any sorts, and I noticed a reaction within me was, "What, I'm not honk-worthy?"

And lastly, I miss dancing to American music. But I am upheld by a house in the neighborhood that blasts 80's music with some regularity. "It's the eye of the tiger; it's the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of our rivals..."

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

"La Buena Nueva"...putting the new back in news.

  Dan Morehead Jan 10, 2008 2:10 AM

About dc_chick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.