Existing Member?

For the Love of Spanish A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.... Chapter 27

Me llamo Anamaria

HONDURAS | Wednesday, 21 November 2007 | Views [400] | Comments [1]

"I am called Anamaria." This figuratively the way you introduce yourself in Spanish and literally how it is for me. When I arrived in town, I met the director of the school. I told her my name, and she said in Spanish, "Anamaria is much easier for us." I just laughed. Enough of this sensitive North American crap! So Anamaria it is!

So many things already. Much of it because it has been so long since I traveled abroad, have never traveled to Central America, and don´t identify as being a tourist, which in fact I am. Living in DC, I am used to being the one who gives directions, has opinions on what to visit, where to go, the easiest way to get there. So it gives me a new perspective to be the one who has no idea of the context I´ve just plopped myself in.

In one funny twist of events, I have been to more evangelical Christian events in the past four days than since I was in college. I am living with a very lovely family. Mom and Dad and four children ages 15 to 4. They are evangelical Christians and so are many of their friends. So the first night I went to church with them and didn´t understand most of the words, yet understood everything. Everything is the same. The songs, the prayers, the music videos, the energetic preaching, the raised hands, the emotion. Everything. It is a world very similar to the one I used to live in. I had ambiguous feelings about whether I actually wanted to understand Spanish.

Last night to I went to a concert with the mom and her good friend, who are also in their young 30´s. It turned out to be a Christian concert which half the town attended. There were women in the aisles shaking and people praying outloud, with the leader prayer very loudly. I looked around and of course I was the only gringa. I´m sure this didn´t turn up in the Lonely Planet guide of local activities. But I was glad to be there. In some ways everything is an interesting anthropological experience. I´m glimpsing the life of a community and a family. Also, it really doesn´t matter the event, people speak, or sing or pray, in Spanish, and that´s what I´m here for, verdad?

Tags: Family

Comments

1

I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences as you travel. This was a great reflection!

  Lydia Nov 26, 2007 12:50 PM

About dc_chick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.