Existing Member?

Venturing to the Unknown

Holiday Wrap Up

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 9 November 2008 | Views [401]

After an exhausting two weeks of University work, I was more than ready for a holiday. My flight to the Whit Sundays was scheduled for 6am on Weds morning, so, rather than getting a taxi, my plan was to have my friend Nick drop me off at the airport the night before. “After all”, I thought to myself, “couldn’t I just sleep inside the airport and save money”? I quickly found that the answer to this question was no. The airport closed at ten pm and didn’t open back up until four in the morning. Unfortunately, I didn’t find this out quickly enough. By the time I realized my predicament, Nick was well on his way back to Newcastle University and I was left alone with a dead cell phone. Thus, my two week vacation to the Whit Sundays and Fraser Island began in a much different fashion than most vacations…sleeping alone on a bench outside of Newcastle Airport

To be honest, sleeping on a bench for one night really wasn’t all that bad. It’s not something I’d want to do again, but it was a good adventure to kick off my vacation. It makes for a decent story I guess. Unlike most people who sleep on benches however, I had the comfort of a warm sleeping bag and the knowledge of knowing that I was relatively safe sleeping at a rural airport rather than in the middle of a big city.

I arrived at Airlie beach and had two days to kill before my three day three night sailing trip around the Great Barrier Reef. I was initially excited for these two days because I saw them as an opportunity to soak up some quality “David Time.” Something you need to know about me is that I’m the type of person who loves human interaction, but sometimes I just need some time by myself to recharge. No matter who you are though, I think it’s important to take some time to just relax and reflect on life. Airlie beach however, was not the place of solitude that I anticipated.

Airlie beach, although beautiful in its own right, is the Australian capital of Spring break partying. It wasn’t until I ate a steak dinner alone at a restaurant the first night that I began to feel truly lonely and out of place. Fortunately, I found two important companions to keep me company the second day; God and the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I’m rather proud to say that I had God as a companion. I definitely found myself praying quite a bit more than I usually do. It was a nice comfort to have someone to talk to when I was feeling lonely. Someone I knew who could truly hear me. However, I’m not so proud to admit that the book Twilight was my other companion. Don’t get me wrong, Twilight is a good book…No, It’s a great book!....If you’re a sixteen year old girl. After about one hundred pages into the book, I realized that Twilight is a rather in depth love story between a vampire and a human. You want to know the sad thing? I’m hooked! So much so, that I’m currently waiting for my friend Angela to give me book two in the series. So, if you’re a sixteen year old girl or a man who is confident in his masculinity, then check out Twilight!

Although the first couple of days of my vacation started out slow, the remaining eight days were a blast! The sailing trip was incredible. The food on the boat was delicious, the sights were breathtaking, and the snorkeling/scuba diving were like nothing I have ever done before. I went into the trip not knowing anybody, and can honestly say that I came out of it with several new friends.

I didn’t think it was possible, but the Fraser Island trip was even more fun than the sailing trip. Fraser Island is a short ferry ride from Hervey Bay and is the world’s largest sand island. Being that the island is so well protected by the government, there are very few paved roads. As such, most driving occurs on the beach or through sand pathways in the forest, making four wheel drive a necessity. I was especially excited for the trip because I went into with Abe, a friend of mine from Newcastle University. I was also excited for the opportunity to do some camping on the island.

 Besides myself and Abe in the van, there were three English girls, a French couple, a guy from Canada, and a girl from South Africa.  If the cramped quarters of a boat force people to build relationships, imagine how much more so a van crammed with people and camping equipment does. By the end of our island safari, it felt as if the nine of us had become a family.

I’d have to say that the most meaningful part of my holiday experience was the relationships that were built. There is no doubt in my mind that the scenery was incredible at both Fraser Island and the Whit Sundays (if you don’t believe me, then check out my pictures!), but this isn’t what made my holiday so exciting. Thinking back to the first couple of days when I was alone reinforces this point. I found that it was the people, not the place, that made my holiday fun and meaningful.

About dbsig33


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.