Existing Member?

Venturing to the Unknown

The Joys of Freedom

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 29 September 2008 | Views [623]

For the past week and a half I have not been a free man, but rather a prisoner. Unlike most prison sentences however, my term was not based on a set duration of time but rather on the completion of a duty. It was not a forced imprisonment, and yet, no matter how hard I tried to break free, I quickly found that my conscience would not let me. What then were the terms of my release? The completion of two large essays and a rather aggravating accounting assignment.

And thus, I have spent the past week and a half of my life locked within the confines of my dark room, toiling away for hours without end. It became unbearable to withstand the sun’s taunting rays of light that shined through my window, so I kept the curtains shut. I would only emerge from my dungeon on rare occasions to eat or use the restroom, and the few human interactions I had seemed completely alien to me. It was as if I had forgotten how to socially conduct myself from a lack of human contact. Essentially, I was a shadow of a man. And then, Friday September 26th at 4:00 o’clock p.m., I earned my freedom!

Sorry for the exaggeration, but it’s really hard to do work in Australia…I always feel like I should be at the beach! Regardless, I am done with my work, and am now free to update my journal. I can’t hope to write down everything that has gone on the past few weeks (before my imprisonment), so instead I will give a brief update:

The weekend of August 22nd, my friend Justin took a group of us to his family’s farm out in Tamworth. It was a great weekend. We went hiking, horseback riding, car racing, 4-wheeling, sheep herding and had a fajita eating contest at a Mexican restaurant in town. The farm food was probably the best part! His parents cooked a feast for us every meal.

The weekend of September 5th, I went on a surf trip with mojo-surf. I was a little nervous going into the weekend for 2 reasons. (1)I didn’t know anybody going on the trip(but I quickly found out that I knew 5-6 people once the trip started), and (2) I had only surfed once in my life prior to the surf trip. There was about 40 of us in all. The bus picked us up from Newcastle and drove us four hours north to a beach house. The weekend was a blast! It was fun meeting new people and surfing! The beach we surfed on was beautiful and we pretty much had it to ourselves. Also, I learned that surfing is like riding a bike

Finally, the weekend of September 12th, my friend Dan took me home with him to Orange. Orange was a lot like Tamworth in that it was a country town with a lot of farms. All of Dan’s family was home for the weekend (which I was told is a rare occasion), so it was fun hanging out with everyone. Like Tamworth, I had the privilege of enjoying some great home cooked meals. The highlights of the weekend were motor-biking, 4-wheeling, Kangaroo hunting, and having a massive cookout.

And now, Monday September 29th, I am about to leave for two weeks on holiday as a free man. My friend Nick is taking me to the airport at 12pm (my flight leaves at 6am the following morning), where my adventure will begin. The plan is to sail around the Whit Sunday Islands for a few days, scuba dive the great barrier reef, and head down to Fraiser Island where I will meet up with my friend Abraham for some more adventures. I have to go pack now, but I’ll be updating in a couple weeks!

About dbsig33


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.