Existing Member?

Catch a Tiger by the Tail

Why I Should be Picked

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [372]

The world is shrinking. Every year innovations in transportation and technology make the world a smaller place.  When I first went to china in 1996, I was one of the few people who had witnessed the holy places of Southwestern China and Tibet.  Yet today, everyone with the internet and the slightest inclination has seen the temples in Lhasa.

This experience has created a new breed of traveler.  Where once it was okay to simply visit a place, where a picture and the right to say, "I was there," was enough, this new generation of traveler demands something more. Whereas my father was ecstatic to even touch a tiger in Thailand, my brother lamented at the passivity of a safari at Governor's Camp. My generation has been bombarded with images of these places since childhood. To them, observing is no longer sufficient; they want to participate. 

To meet this new evolution of the traveler, a new paradigm in travel writing is required.  More and more travel guides will need to provide conduits to a deeper experience of a place.  With the help of this scholarship, my vision is to help pioneer this new age in travel writing.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About dax


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.