Existing Member?

Catch a Tiger by the Tail

My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [322] | Comments [2]

Slowly, I backed away, my legs sloshing through the knee high water. The tiger circled, his gaze fixed upon me. I had finally succeeded in getting the leash on him. Now the only problem was--just that--I was holding a lead with a tiger on the other end. Or was it the other way around? Sensing my distraction, the tiger attacked. He surged through the water, his jaws reaching out for my lead leg. I sprawled, grabbing the tiger's collar, and dragged him up onto the bank. Now out of the water, the tiger took the lead and dragged me back to his cage. Just another day volunteering at the Tiger Temple in Thailand.

The cub's cages perched upon a solitary concrete slab, its fractured edges standing in contrast to the natural order of the wilderness around it. There the morning guests were waiting, having left the pond ahead of us.  Armed with shampoo and hoses, the tourists were then let loose on the cubs, working the sand and grit out of their coarse fur.

As a volunteer, it was my job to hold the cubs still--a process that usually left one soaking wet and bleeding. These were young cats, yet even at six months most of the cubs outweighed me. The older cubs were something else entirely.

Their arrival was the volunteer's cue to go about our other duties. To handle the adolescent cubs you had to have raised them. It had only gotten worse since Western influences had convinced the temple to ban physical punishment. A smart rap on the nose was the only tool we had to discourage dangerous behaviors. Entire litters were eventually exiled to cages, never having learned not to bite people. It was heart breaking.

It's to those cells our duties would now take us in an attempt to provide entertainment for those animals that couldn't be trusted with freedom. Then it was meal time, for us and the tigers. Meal times held the secret to how we kept the tigers so docile during the afternoons. It was rumored we used tranquilizers, but the truth was much simpler than that. It turns out that the food coma is a phenomenon that transcends species. It helps that tigers naturally sleep in the afternoon, which made it the only time safe enough to let in the general public.

The rest of my afternoon would be spent trying to get the tourists to donate for the building of new habitats, but even that was an adventure. They came in droves, each with his or her own idea of how things should be done around the temple. A couple of times it almost came to blows as I was forced to physically obstruct a tourist's attempts to enter dangerous areas, but for the most part it all worked out.

All the same, I was always relieved when they left. I was then free to join the monks for some meditation. Just another day at the Tiger Temple.

Comments

1

Great story! Really catchy introduction and a fascinating topic. Sounds like the visitors were just as much of a handful as the tigers! How long were you a volunteer at the temple?

  aro-tron Mar 28, 2011 8:23 PM

2

Thanks man. Appreciate that. Spent a lot of time on it.

And yes, the tourists tended to be much worse than the tigers. It's hard because the temple gets promoted by many of the tourism agencies in Thailand as something it's not. People are led to believe that it's this Buddhist paradise where they will find tigers wandering in harmony with the other animals of the temple. Unfortunately when they get there they find that they're competing with 700 other people for time with the animals, all of whom were led to believe the same thing. Worse was that one tour guide, whose name I will not mention, started telling her clients that the tigers are drugged in an attempt to make them feel more safe. So by the time the tourists would get to me, they were not only hot and tired from waiting in line for an hour, they were also angry because they think we drug the animals to make a profit. It led to some pretty epic stories.

I did it for about six weeks, and have been back once since.

  dax Mar 28, 2011 10:02 PM

About dax


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.