Existing Member?

Flying South

Bulawayo (20-21/11)

ZIMBABWE | Thursday, 21 November 2013 | Views [256]

What can I say about Bulawayo? It's a stopping off point on the way to Victoria Falls...

It's also home to many of Deb and Amy's family, who are some of the nicest, greatest, friendliest people you will ever meet and it's also Zimbabwe's best kept secret!

The town itself is not at all what I expected. For a start you never seem to be in a town. Unless you approach the central business district the whole place seems to be one big beautiful suburb filled with colour and hiding some absolutely wonderful architecture. It also has what is without a doubt the world's greatest ice-cream parlour, Eskies (Eskimo Hut). If you ever happen on Eskies I would heartily recommend the Pink Panther, it is an ice-cream experience without equal.

We had lots of plans for Bulawayo, some of which we made and some of which never came to fruition due to 4 inches of rain. We did however get to see the most amazing cave, somewhat off the main road in the Matopos as you head towards Rhodes Grave, which we also managed to visit, although not on the same day. Rhodes grave is so amazing I'll be giving it a photo album of its own. The views are beautiful, the landscape is wild and rugged and the sense of the place is such that you found yourself talking in whispers. There are monuments their to others besides Rhodes and I will try to write some more about them as and when I manage to post pics of them.

One of the great things about visiting Rhodes grave was that you drive through a national park to get to it. We didn't see any of the really big names but we did catch some amazing Kudu and Sable. Hopefully the first of many exciting animals that will be added to the list before long.

Like I said to begin with, Bulawayo is a very well kept secret and I don't want to spoil it, so mum's the word folks!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Zimbabwe

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.