Existing Member?

World Adventure

Zermatt-8hr hike 3100m

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 19 September 2012 | Views [774]

20Sep
Weather was good. The matterhorn was clear. We woke up to a pink matterhorn which was a treat. Headed off and caught the funicular, gondola and cable car up to Rothorn 3103m for a clear view of the area and the findel glacier. We intended walking the 5 lakes walk. I spotted a family of marmots near the first lake and also showed some Japenese tourists. We wandered along the morrain line which was not to Vanessa's liking then down to the next lake for lunch. The overall walk was alright but the area is a bit of a moonscape. Still we did not expect to find a green lake as part of the walk. It was quite a hike back down to Zermatt and the total walk time was 8.5hrs. We bumped into a couple of old english hikers about 1hr away and had a chat. Vanessa spotted another family of marmots along the way and we also spotted black squirrels in the pine forrest.
I was absolutely exhausted by the time we got back to Zermatt. Not sure whether it was the altitude or my fitness.
Food. We have been having really hearty breakfasts at the hotel. Yes we are supposed to be embracing the culture. No. Not at the prices the swiss charge. $25+ each for cheese fondu?We are eating too much cheese as it is at the moment and just couldn't face another vat of steaming cheese.  We will wait for italy.
Lunch and dinner at the moment involves bread, local cheese and tomato. Perhaps some turkey and other miscellaneous meats . Vanessa promotes healthy food but I manage to slip in plenty of chocolate along the way.

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.