Existing Member?

World Adventure

Sabah Road Trip

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 20 May 2010 | Views [1889]

Back from Turtle Island and plan was to hire a car.We had previously spoken with staff at the rental company and they had informed us that all we needed to do was walk in off the street and a car would be available day or night. Today however it seemed that absolutely none of the cars that we wanted were available which meant that we had three options (a) pay the price of getting a more expensive car (b) negotiate (c) walk out in a huff and go to the car rental agency at the airport......jumped up  and down and banged our heads on their desk a few times and eventually negotiated a good price and ended up with 1.2L proton 5 Speed manual with A/C.Sounds gutless I know but it  was actually a reasonably economical (17km/L)  and gutsy  little car.


I once read that that an orangutan could swing from tree to tree from one side of Borneo to the other without touching the ground. Sadly this is no longer the case, The drive through Sabah hightlights the fact that like many tropical areas around the world, the natural forests of Sabah are being cleared for commercial uses and in Sabah´s case  it is palm oil plantations . The oil palm plantations are one of the  biggest threats for the remaining rainforests in Borneo and the species that inhabit them and very little seems to be being done to curb the destruction and it is an extremely depressing sight.

Day 1. Dropped in to Gomantong cave to find out that  the  bats leave the cave in the evening. Drove to Sukau on the Kinabatagan river but found out that all accommodation except a  ridiculous overpriced eco  resort was booked out so we had to push on.Travel plan is not going well for day 1! Ended up in Lahad Datu worn out and rather annoyed . We found a hotel and I just took the room without looking. It was a mistake as the room was really crappy, smelt musty and had no windows it did however have internet and as we managed to download two movies so hopefully they only have limited bandwidth and it slows them down for the month as punishment. I thought it felt like a storage area and the iron burn on the floor probably indicated it wasn't far from the truth. It was an  ugly town and it felt a bit seedy so we didn't venture  out after dark.

Day 2. Headed to Semporna. Arrived early. Initially had trouble finding the tourist information centre since we had no map but followed random signs and eventually found the correct area after about 30min but never did find any tourist information centre and stopped looking after we located some dive shops.Chat with Scuba Junkies a Western run dive company who had accommodation on Mabul island and ran regular dive/snorkelling trips around the variouss islands.We couldn't get permits to snorkel on the reef at sipidan island until the 23rd May and at 470MYR each we weren´t overly hearbroken or surprised by this so after talking to a couple of other companies we returned to Scuba Junkie and book our trip to Mabul . Found accommodation near scuba junkies office called Semporna inn (72 MYR) and a great little Mum and Dad family restaurant that cooked delicious Malaysian Chinese food.

Unfortunately  ice cream is too readily available in the supermarkets in Malaysia and from what we are seeing in the mirror we must be being  a little too eager in replenishing our  calcium stocks or the mirrors are distorting us.....

That's all, folks!

Bye

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.