Existing Member?

World Adventure

Phnom Penh part 1

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 11 April 2010 | Views [809]

Hi All,

Phnom Penh
We didn´t get off to a good start in this city.We had booked a guest house the previous evening only to be told on arrival at the guesthouse that they had made  a mistake and were full.They had however graciously booked us into a similarly priced guest house  just down the road and around the corner so back into the tuk tuk we climbed only to discover upon arrival at this  guest house that our room was no longer available.It was nearing 40degrees  with  80% humidity so consequently  we were a little hot,a little tired and as you can imagine by this  stage a  little annoyed .Fortunately for us there was another room available at a substantially increased price.We were so overwhelmed by their  generosity that we left. Our tuk tuk driver turned into our savour and he suggested that we go to another guesthouse.We stop in front of a building which looked pretty bleak from the outside but the driver assured us that inside we would find a safe and clean refuge. The grumpy  room inspector and bed checker dismounted the tuk tuk and  sidestepped two naughty monkeys that were in the process of stealing the offerings from the mini temple outside of the guest house and entered the guesthouse seemingly anticipating the worst.A few minutes later the room inspector  returned and announced  that it was as promised  so we  unloaded the backpacks and took a business card from the tuk tuk driver.The Porter aka Room Inspector carried the packs up the stairs then  tossed the backpacks on to one of the two double beds as we started to  explore the dungeon´s (windowless room)  electrical appliances in the room switching on things as we located them : air-conditioner was set to 16dgreesC;  Cable TV tuned into Discovery Channel and the refrigerator dialled  to near freezing. Amazingly even the wifi worked so things were looking up.

After cooling down and rehydrating we decided that it was time to start exploring.In comparison to tranquil Thailand  Phnom Penh is dirty chaotic and extremely  noisy as everyone is beeping their horn for whatever reason .The streets are choked with motorbikes,scooters,tuk tuk drivers,pedestrians ,street vendors  and the odd car all weaving in and out of each other.Footpath access is non existent  as that it is used by street vendors,motorbikes,beggars,tuk tuk drivers blocking access at virtually every corner,street barbers and mechanics stripping motors.It makes for interesting and challenging walking indeed.


Once the site of horrible crimes against humanity, Cambodia is a beautiful country with a rich culture and  people who, in spite of the tragedies of  only a generation ago, are warm and extremely friendly .Despite two decades of landmine clearance programs,Cambodia remains one of the most heavily mined countries in the  world Recent figures released by the Cambodian authorities show that 243 people were killed or injured by landmines and leftover explosives last year(2009) which apparently  represents a 10 percent drop from 2008, which was itself down on the number of casualties in 2007.

Unfortunately  the Cambodian tourism industry is in its infancy and there is very little infrastructure in place for travelling safely off the beaten path and with the estimated  millions of landmines still lie in Cambodia’s soil maybe it is a country that isn´t ready to be explored yet.


In  Phnom Penh we undertook the obligatory sightseeing circuit.

First Stop -Tuol Sleng (S21)Genocide Museum-A former High school which was converted  into  a security prison on orders of Pol Pot on 17th April 1975.Inmates at the prison were held in tiny brick cubicles  and systematically tortured,sometimes over a period of months,to extract the desired ´confessions´,after which the victims was inevitably excuted at the killing fields of Choeung Ek which is 16km outside the city Phnom Penh.S-21 processed over 17,000 inmates  in a 3 year period of which only 7 people were said to have survived.It is difficult to imagine that this was once a place filled with smiling happy hopeful children because today this places which remains in much the same state that  it was in when the Khmer Rouge abandoned it in January 1979  feels nothing but evil.Words can not adequately express what it feels to like to be within the grounds and buildings of S21...........Three decades on there is still evidence of the atrocities  that were  committed with the walls of S21  A single rusty bed, a pair of leg shackles,plastic gas containers for urine and faeces  and a disturbingly gruesome black and white photograph is all that adorns some rooms but in others black stains are evident on the  checked tile floors and we can only assume from their locations and from what we have seen in the photographs that they are from  large pools of  blood that have permanently stained the porous tiles.It is extremely difficult to visit this museum,watch the documentary  and see the thousands of photographs of victims that stare back at you without it affecting you but I think that it is important for us to understand Cambodia´s dark past in order to understand the Cambodia of today.


Killing fields of Choeung Ek
Encased in a white stupa are 9000 human skulls.

We walked around the killing fields and  were surprised that we initially didn't see many  bones. A longer walking loop around a pond led us back to the same area and we suddenly started to notice bone fragments in the ground near a tree then realised that we were actually walking on bone fragments for much of the way. Not all of the mass graves were exhumed so more bones come to the surface after the water from each wet season washes away more soil. It was a moving and sensitive area so we felt quite annoyed when we came across some Americans discussing the best coffee places in the world. Focus. Maybe this attitude is why people of many nations say 'never again' yet it keep on happening? People were murdered here and all these people can think about is coffee!

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.