Existing Member?

World Adventure

St Petersburg 2

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 16 December 2009 | Views [669]

Zdravstvujtye (zdrah-stvooy-tee; hello)All,

 We went for a walk further into the old city via St Issacs cathedral  to the Yusupov Palace where Rasputin was murdered. Then as we continued along we found the Mariinsky theatre and collected our tickets for the Madam Butterfly opera starting a 4pm then had lunch in a nearby snow covered park watching dogs in freezer suits trot past. We wanted to get back to the hostel but time was running out before the starting of the opera so decided to catch the metro. Even catching the metro was an adventure in its own right as we discovered that it  is apparently  one of the deepest subway systems in the world .The average station depth is between 100- 105 metres below the surface so it is not for the faint of heart or for those that dislike long steep  escalator rides.It  took us about 45 min to get back to the hostel and  We caught the bus back and arrived with plenty of time to spare.

The opera ran for 4hrs and was in Italian with Russian subtitles. The performances were stunning and the set was excellent. It was a riveting evening even though due to the language barrier we  were forced to make the story line up as it went along. Later we looked up the story and it made a lot more sense to us! It was unclear which  bus we needed to catch to get back to the hostel after the performance but eventually came to the conclusion that the bus we had arrived on was a bus  that was on a circuit. It unfortunately seemed to be the bus that someone else wanted to board as well so everyone was crammed in and at times it felt and looked as if we were simply a moving collective of fur coats so we were a little cramped for space but it was at least a soft padded ride.the bus was so cramped that no tickets we able too be collected or brought so consequently we had a free ride and got off at the Christmas  markets and outdoor ice skating rink near the hostel  This also coincided with the ticket collector arriving. ;-) 

We ate heartily in our new favourite Russian restaurant. Vanessa had a roast fish casserole and I had Beef Stroganoff .A very russian dish indeed as  the name of this dish comes from Russian Count Grigory Stroganove

Next day.

We went to the Russian museum which is another magnificent world class art gallery.The main building of the museum is the Mikhailovsky Palace, a splendid neoclassical residence of Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich, erected in 1819-25 to a design by Carlo Rossi  on Square of Arts in St Petersburg My first preference was to go back to the Mariinsky Theatre and watch the Nutcracker ballet but unfortunately we didn't have enough time and Vanessa´s back wasn´t up for another session of  prolonged sitting so this was our next choice. It turned out to be significantly better than expected with  some of the greatest pieces of Russian art in the world and magnificent rooms with opulent interiors.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collections_of_the_Russian_Museum


The snow started falling quite heavily while we were at the palace and at one stage it appeared that we were have a mini blizzard as visibility dropped.The snow eased off and we set off back to the hostel to gather our possessions and head for the train Station.

До свидания   ("da-svee-da-nee-ye") Goodbye

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.