Existing Member?

World Adventure

Casablanca, Morocco

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 24 February 2009 | Views [832]

Hi All,

This blog entry probably reads a bit better as my proof reader is back at my side as I type.... 

Just found out that a bomb went off in the market we visited in Cairo in the islamic section the day after leaving. A little chilling to know that it was just luck on the timing rather than anthing else. A seemingly random event. We were in New Delhi market a few years ago in a market the same day that a bomb was let off by extremists. What can one do? continue life without giving in to fear.

We flew out of Cairo with Royal air morocco. Watched the pyramids out the window before losing them and any touch of green in egypt. 6hrs later after a good aircraft breakfast we touched down in Casablanca. Were suprised by the patchwork of green fields when flying across Morocco as we were expecting to see desert. The atlas mountains looked great with their snowcaps.

The immigration was really quick in Casablanca and there is a train station at the terminal. We had our first touch of a Moroccan tout who highjacked our luggage trolley in the lift to the train platform then took us to the ticket office. All the time we repeatedly told him to stop but he was determined to get that tip. Too bad for him. When he asked for it I told him no way and he seemed to swear at me but not knowing arabic it might as well fallen on deaf ears.

Took the train all the way into town past our station then caught it back again to the correct station. The doors did not open on the train. Two of the local women outside gestured to pull the handle above the door: It opened and a piercing alarm went off simultaneously. We got off and left quickily going into a tunnel then on the other side we could see staff trying to reset the emergency door open mechanism. Ooops. 

Caught a petit taxi - think niki - and shoved the luggage including Vanessa onto the back seat. Tight squeeze.

Went to a dodgy unfriendly HI hostel in the old medina then went for a walk along the atlantic ocean past Ricks cafe, said hello to Sam but he wasnt in the mood to play it again for us so we left and continue to the massive Hassan II mosque 3rd largest mosque in the world. 

Sat and people watched for a while as it was family day then back to the room for rest as we were a little tired and jet lagged. Found our first yummy chicken tarjine for tea. Next thing we knew there was loud live african music belting out from the courtyard of the hostel. The music drew me out there to see whether there were dancers circling around a big pot filled with water and missionaries. Not to be got out there and found a large semi circle of men dressed in white with yellow slippers. Did not know why but dont recall the music stopping. Maybe it is because we were quickily asleep.

Off to Marrakesh tomorrow. Maybe.

Bye

David and Vanessa

        

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.