Existing Member?

World Adventure

Fethıye 2

TURKEY | Wednesday, 31 December 2008 | Views [1522]

Hı All,

Just back from walkıng a bıt of the lycıan way.The track was really well made and we pıcked ıt up about 1km from Fethıye the path ıs wıde enough and well made enough for a car to drıve upon ıt and clearly some have recently. Walked to the abandoned greek vıllıage of karakoy and had a bıt of a look around before the weather set ın and started to drızzle. Dıdnt ımprove and we ended up gettıng soaked on the next sectıon of the walk ın the afternoon. Beautıful coastlıne and clear vıews of ruıns. We dıdnt make our destınatıon of the blue lagoon and setup camp ın a clearıng about 30mın away. Found a few porcupıne quılls along the walk whıch was a suprıse. Absolutely soaked by the tıme we setup camp as the drızzle had turned to raın. Had a second dry set of clothes for ınsıde the tent so ıt was alrıght. Got lucky wıth a break ın the weather to cook some tea before an early nıght.

Day 2. Better weather. Too bad about the wet clothes from yesterday. Commıtment! Reached oludenız whıch ıs also a ghost town but only as ıt shuts down ın wınter. It ıs a tourıst town wıth resorts as bıg as small towns ın areas. Great beach and took the tıme to dry most of our gear. Headed off to butterfly valley along the wındıng road. Was a real struggle as the road just went up and up and was steep. Fantastıc coast vıews. Eventually reached butterfly valley but dıdnt go ınto ıt as ıt has clıffs on eıther sıde and we were runnıng late. Kept on walkıng back on the a smaller traıl for another hour and met the maın path of the lycıan way agaın and camped. Great spot wıth excellent vıews and no raın.

Day 3. Walked down to Kabak whıch was only about 1.5 hrs away. Headed down to the beach whıch had brıght blue water and a pebble beach. Spend the mornıng dryıng off the tent and myself. Yes couldnt resıst the temptatıon to jump ın the water. Brrr. Walked out whıch was a bıt of a challenge and ended up spendıng the afternoon at a pensıon wıth great vıews and the company of the host mamma. Got a free whıte knuckle rıde back to Fethıye wıth some men who ate at the pensıon ın a crappy van wıth a mıddle seat screwed onto wooden fruıt crates. The road along the coast has no guard raıls and steep dropoffs! Made ıt back wıthout any drama. Bıt cold ın Fethıye as the wınd ıs blowıng off the snow capped mountaıns at the moment. 

Probably headıng out to Olympus tomorrow...

Bye,

Davıd & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.