Existing Member?

World Adventure

puerto iguazu 2

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 22 November 2008 | Views [1542]

Hola All,

Up early to go to the falls to beat the crowd. Got the 740am bus and got to the park only to find that it opened at 9am. Guess they are using the old maps??? Didn´t matter as Vanessa and I found some tucans feeding in the palm trees about 100m away and the time passed quickly. 

Caught the train in the park to the most powerful section of the waterfall called garganta del diablo.

The waterfall is magnificant and so powerful. The sound as the water crashed after the drop is like continuous waves pounding and that essentially is what is occuring. The spray inside the falls obscures the river below and also rises well above the falls. This drifts back and forth across the viewing platform drawing screams from the crowd as the cool water hits them.

Rainbow and swallows in the mist of the falls.

Fish, monitors, cayman and plenty of birdlife.

Butterflies everywhere. So many types; so many colours. Vanessa says they land so heavily that she can feel them land on her!

Walk and lunch about halfway along the falls near isla san martin. Walk in the jungle for about 7km round trip. Wildlife - racoon like - quati - near end of walk.

Back to falls again today. The wind was stronger so we could see the water further down the face and the spray was stronger and screams at the viewpoint were louder! 

Watched a large fish doing a circuit and plenty of turtles floating around in a sheltered section of water off the walkway. Was the same place we saw the cayman.

Managed to get a quick shot of the rainbow in the waterfall with swallows flying. 

Caught the arranged transport across the bridge to brazil. Seamless. Drive through service for immigration from the argentina side and simple check-in on the brazil side. Took about 15 min for both!

Got to the bus terminal and noticed that the travel agent had ripped us off as we suspected. Charged double the real bus ticket price. Doesn´t matter what country the objective seems to be rip off the tourists. Wasn´t that much money but still annoying. Guess the easy immigration was worth it. 

No images as PC won´t see the extenal hard drive.

Adios,

David & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.