Existing Member?

World Adventure

Lima 2

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 8 August 2008 | Views [737] | Comments [1]

Hola All,

A day wandering around town. Visited Catedral de Lima an amazing mosiac covered chapel with the remains of Francisco Pizarro, conquestedor. The remains were only found sometime in the 1970s in the walls of the crypt after an earthquake. The wooden carvings were amazingly detailed and there was a crypt with bones and skulls on display including a childs skull. Many of the bones were displaced during the earthquakes and the owners were unknown. Our guide was talking about the meaning of the skull and crossbones with a religious reasoning. Vanessa seems to think it indicated old remains. I just thought of the jolly roger...

Went to the Monasterio de San Fransisco which is famous for it´s catacombs. Could have waited for the english tour but went on a spanish dunno tour rather than wait for an hour. What are they saying? dunno. Where are we going now? dunno. The best option was to just follow them around and look when they looked. Worked for us. The underground catacombs were not for the faint hearted as they contained in order of 70000 skeletons in open crypts. There was a very artistic one in what looked like a big well with femurs and skulls arranged in a circle. No pictures allowed. Tough. Google it.

That wasn´t the only good part. The corridors had magnificent paintings on the covered walls. My favourite was one with horses with drugged out eyes. Actually the eyes of many of the pictures looked drugged out. Maybe too much San Pedro in the diet?

Also went to the Museo. A bank museum with inca treasure kept in a vault and a guard with a gun. The metalwork on the gold was amazing. Left the treasure there as the consequences might not have been too good otherwise.

Adios Amigos,

David and Vanessa

Comments

1

Hi Vanessa and David,

We check on your movements from time to time and the wonderful photos. You are certainly more adventurous than we ever were when we travelled to South America.

With love,

Peter and Carolyn

  Peter and Carolyn Aug 9, 2008 9:00 PM

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.