Existing Member?

Trans Siberian Onwards

Planning becomes reality

SINGAPORE | Monday, 1 September 2014 | Views [359] | Comments [1]

I love it when a plan comes together.  Although I hate flying, arriving at the airport with all the pieces in place is a good feeling.  I don’t like to tempt fate, but I have already cleared immigration into China, so the trip has officially started.  It was a long time in the making.

 

T-12 years.  The first time a boat trip down the amazon ever crossed my mind was twelve years ago.  I hope to make it there this year.

 

T-9 months.  I took a short-term lease in Tiong Bahru, knowing that I may not well stay another year in Singapore.

 

T-4 months.  I started listing out everything I needed to take care of to be ready for this trip.  Empty boxes on a list waiting to be ticked off.

 

T-3 months.  Cleared my debts, finalized the dates, planned my resignation and bought travel guides for Central and South America.

 

T-2 months.  Resigned.  My boss offered me a sabbatical for six months instead.  Sounds great – better than being unemployed at least!  Packed many boxes of junk off to the charity (thrift) shop.

 

T-1 month.  Vaccinations, visas, tickets bought.  Shippers engaged, lease termination confirmed.

 

T-1 week.  Feels like time is starting to run out.  Much left still to do.  I'm downloading movies to watch on the ninety-eight hour trans-Siberian train ride.  Maxed out my download limit everyday.  Did the same to Starbucks free wifi.  Bought the biggest iPhone battery pack I could find.  Bought a bunch of books – probably way too many – to keep me entertained for the trip.  Marco Polo, Paul Theroux, Glenn Greenwald.

 

T-2 days.  The packers came.  Split my belongings into those I would need for my trip (one backpack) and those I will not see again for at least six months (everything else).  Realised my bag was too heavy and decided to post a few things ahead to the UK which I would only need for the South America leg of my trip.

 

T-1 day.  Cleaning.  Leaving the flat in Tiong Bahru, the nicest place I ever stayed in Singapore.  Last goodbyes with friends.  There may have been tears.  I was happy in Singapore, I had some great friends and great memories.  Ate my last chicken rice.  Went for a last wander around the East side – I was always an east sider – apparently it’s cooler over there.  Bugis, Beach Road, Jalan Besar, Bugis, Lavender, Arab Street, Paya Lebar.  Retraced my old steps to Lorong 40.  The station and surroundings have all been remodeled and I could barely remember my daily route to work, such is the pace of “progress” in Singapore.  My window, the river, my first wander in the early days at Paya Lebar down the river in the other direction.

 

The route back to Aljunied was more familiar, past the temples and clan buildings, the food loft, flower shop, fruit shops, dim sum.  The bright yellow vegetarian laksa.  Bought a drink from the deaf hawker outside Aljunied MRT.  Took the train back to Lavender and slept my last night in Singapore.

 

A mix of emotions.  Sad to leave.  Scared to fly.  Excited to travel and see the world.  I woke early due to a bout of nervous excitement – had I missed my flight?  No, the clock said 2am – still another six hours to check-in.  I had slept badly for the last week due to the nervous adrenalin rush of preparations and planning for departure.  I was looking forward to the first night I could relax in Hangzhou.

 

T-0.  Today is the day.  A quick ride down the ECP to Changi airport, check-in and board the plane ...

Tags: getting ready, planning

Comments

1

Its not cooler in the east!

  Vera Sep 26, 2014 1:01 AM

About daveonhols


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.