Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

"I spend my money on the regular miracles"

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 November 2013 | Views [1745] | Comments [2]

Hi Grandma and Grandpa (and anyone else who still reads this),

Sorry I have neglected posting for you. This one is gonna be a big one! I have been busy living the everyday normal kind of life and loving it! Honestly living overseas isn't so different from living in the US. I work, I eat, I sleep, see friends, go out, and live life. Then again, it hasn't been all routine:

 

Sydney Solo Performance #2

Performance

Got invited to play as part of an amazing event called Gen3Sydney. Wow! It was a powerful night full of incredible performers. Such an honor to share the stage with amazing talent. It was held at this sweet bar in Surry hills. Also, side note, pro choice bringing my Bassoon. Best carry-on ever! Definitely made some great memories. 

WithIt

Night Noodle Markets

Nightlights

For the month of October, the park across the street from my office got turned into festival grounds. Each night starting at 5, they had asian noodle market stalls. It did remind me of Shanghai. Naturally having such fun right across the street I took advantage. Met up with friends for drinks quite often because park+ Darcy safe hard cider+awesome lights= perfect after work unwind.

Drinks

Also walked around one night with the Paleo group after one of our meet-ups!

This is how this photo happened:

"everyone look really Paleo"

"Wait..how do we do that?"

"1,2,3:

Paleawesome

I'd say that was a success!

 

7 Bridges Walk

7map

The 2nd official Urban Hikers event was the 7 bridges walk. This was definitely one of the best souviner ideas anyone thought of. Its a 27km walk over 7 bridges that make up Sydney Harbour!  Yep, we crossed all 7! It was a fundraiser for the cancer council and happened to take place on the day of my Grandma (who kicked cancer's butt)'s 80th birthday party. So although i'm not such a fan of the cancer council, it was awesome to celebrate in spirit with my Grandma, make awesome memories here in Sydney, and enjoy my Sunday! We also decided to make the numbers of each of the bridges with our bodies. I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out!

Darling

#1- Pyrmont Bridge : at Darling Harbour--one of my favorite memories from my first trip here and it was fun to come back. Also check the CBD in the background!

2Anzac

#2- ANZAC Bridge

3

#3- Iron Cove Bridge

4

#4-Gladesville Bridge

#5- Tarban Creek- (was so small we didn't realize we crossed it until we got to the Harbour bridge and realized we messed up)

5

#5 (Which should be 6)- Fig Tree Bridge

7

#7- The Harbour Bridge :)

wristbands

 

Raizel

Raize and I on the ANZAC Bridge...sunnies and smiles :)

 

 

Eat me Primal

One of my Paleo group friends is co-owner of a new company that delivers pre-made paleo meals to people. She needed people to help cook 220 meals. Who doesn't want to cook 220 paleo meals after walking over 7 bridges??? So I walked straight to the kitchen and spent the afternoon chopping and stirring--pumpkin and green beans and cabbage oh my! I was also color coordinated with the food. You can take the husky out of UW but she'll still rep the purple!

cooking

 

Garden

While everyone in the US is playing in their pumpkin patch, i'm playing in my P-Patch:

Greens

Greens are growing!

Blues

Blues are blue-ing and straws are berry-ing!

Casualties

... and then there are the casualties.

 

Afternoon by the pool

pool

and the coolest "grown-up" picnic i've ever seen. I think we felt real mature ;)

picnic

 

Ocean


I often go down to the beach and marvel at the amazing place I have been fortunate enough to call home! Look at this beauty:

Beach

Sunset Surprise:


My friend Leora's family threw her a surprise party. After work I headed up north for the celebration. When I got off the train, the station was surounded by a gorgeous sunset. Really the picture doesn't do it justice. As a friend once said, "there is nothing like a sunset in Sydney". and the suprise party was pretty great too! Happy Birthday Leora!

Sunset Station

First Time at the Opera House

I finally made it inside part of the Opera House!!! It was a killer night. My friend and I went for the poetry slam grand finals. We were both blown away by the caliber of talent. The power of the spoken word was incredible.

program

Our best "word." faces:

Word

Food Blog

*warning pictures of stuff I have made*

Fruit

(Fruit with chocolate "mousse")

Ferments

(One of the weekly ferments: Fennel Pickles and Kraut)

Sunday Brunch

(Typical Sunday Brunch at the Brondiley Manor)

 


As a final note, its looking like i'm gonna shift existance here soon. 1 word: Melbourne

 

...To wherever my adventure waits  :D

 

Comments

1

Cool blog Darcy!

  shailee mendelevich Nov 7, 2013 8:21 PM

2

It is such fun to read all the things you are doing, and I appreciate that
you are doing this especially for us-- since everyone under 80 does
Facebook. Glad you are having such a great time. Love you.
Grandma

  Grandma Nov 14, 2013 1:26 PM

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.