Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

"Doesn't get much better. No better than this"

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 21 August 2013 | Views [1680] | Comments [2]

Hello Blog Followers,

Sorry to keep those of you who are actually interested in this waiting. I've been busy experiencing life and haven't had time to write about experiencing it. But, i'm making the time now! 

Seriously, LOVE does not even begin to describe how I feel about where I am, what I am doing, who I am being, and the people in my life. It seriously does not seem like it could get much better than this. I feel the healthiest, happiest, and most harmonious I have felt in recent memory. I've been “utilizing” my down time at work to read great health blogs and get inspired about living the happiest life I can. And...I am finally learning how to be selfish in a healthy way *insert gasp here*. I've been consciously trying to listen to my body and only do what makes me feel good. And boy do I! Seems obvious, but it’s working.

So now on to what you’ve missed: 

Things that have to do with adventures:

One night we went out to a bar and it happened to be an Open mic night. The friends I was with just happened to be incredibly talented musicians. So naturally we had to get up and do a performance. 3 part harmony ensued. It was a blast.

Kareoke

 

The rabbi and rebbetzin of the community gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. So that meant a bris was in order. There’s nothing like a bris in the morning to start off the day, haha! I got to help get all the other kids ready for the bris, so I got up at 5 and got to watch the sunrise. This was the start to my day:

sunrise 

Didn't mind getting up early because I got to see such a beautiful sunrise!

That night, we had planned an ice skating event and there was no way I was missing that! We went up north to Macquarie Center where they have an indoor ice rink all year round. The idea was to make it feel more like winter and celebrate the cold weather. It was really really really fun! Here are some pictures from our night out at the rink.

skateselfskatingSkatesillySkategroup

 

All of you who have been wondering, wait what about that whole thing about me loving music??? Don’t worry I’m taking care of my passion and making it a passion again, rather than a job. I found an orchestra to play with!!! We have 2 hour rehearsals once a week. I love the program: Haydn Sinfonia No.103, Schumann's Requium for Mignon, and Honneger's Pastorale d'Ete! They picked great music. I’m actually am really happy with how much I have challenged myself as well. Sight read (and played ) 7 Bassoon solos at our first rehearsal. For those that know my fears of playing solo…getting over those!

Bassooning

Also still taking me time to read at Gertrude and Alice ( which I have affectionately shortened to Gerties)! My latest read is “The Power of Now”. I know, know, I’m jumping on this bandwagon later than most. But better late than never! I highly recommend the book to you all, as well.

Reading

 

I went to my first barbie in the park. Didn’t take pictures of the Barbie. But took pictures of the park. So that’s half of it right?

Park

Park

Ducks

 

On a boat

 

While I am trying to live in the moment, I had to plan ahead. Got tickets to a music festival that will happen in January. All you really need to know is The Lumineers will be there and I will be there. 

BDO

The JCA hosted a trivia night. When I got there I bumped into one of my friends who I play trivia with on Mondays and so he had me join his team. It was a hoot! Team “Quizzed in my pants-also known as table 11” took 3rd. More importantly we laughed really hard and I met some great people. 2 questions I actually answered and helped the table with:  “what is the top string on a guitar"” and “name 2 tennis courts in Melbourne named after famous Aussie tennis players”.  My past life experiences were worth something.haha.

Quizzed

 


Things that have to do with work:

The fun part about working for a start up is that I have total creative control. Today someone asked my boss, “So how many people does your company currently employ”, he looks, points at me, and says “the princess”. Haha. Guys he means it in a good way. They say it’s because I deserve to be treated like one. When someone asks what I do, the joke is that I am the secretary, receptionist, accountant, interior designer, janitor, and office manager…so basically I rule the company aka. The princess.

One of my favorite days at work was when I got to go on a mission to IKEA for my office décor. Took trains , busses, and walking, and at the end of it  the place was just like the USA.

IKEA

 

Yay IKEA! I spent hours plotting my office décor plans. Once it was delivered I got to spend a whole day at work just assembling furniture. I inherited an empty room and created this:

POB

Still needs some stuff, but the not so great thing about working for a start-up is the limited capital. All things with time.

 

Another cool day at work was a day when the weather was super gross, but then this beautiful rainbow happened. It was such a cool sight to see and brightened my day.

rainbow

 

Things that have to do with food:

panckakes

I made chocolate banana “pancakes” which I have to say, one of my more brilliant recipe inventions. I’ve tried lots of fake pancake ideas, but these take the (pan) Cake by far. And they are actually the healthiest version too!

My 50+ challah rolls that were carefully packed from the Steinfelds were almost gone, so it was time to make some Darcy Challah. Raizel’s fiancé Shmuel surprised me and found gluten free oat flour. What a guy! After that I made the best batch of egg and gluten free challah i’ve ever tried. I basically made a really good honey oat bread and then had Raizel help me braid a bunch of loaves. Yummy!

proofchallah

Also, we found the best wine. I don’t know if you can find this in the US, but if you can,  I highly recommend you get some. Your taste buds will love you.

Cab

 

One weekend I decided to make my own shabbos dinner. It was so sucsessful it makes me want to always cook. Most people make typical Shabbat food. I just made things I wanted to eat. The afore mentioned challah and wine. Steak. Salads. Blueberries with coconut cream. Oh! And my candle stick is in the picture. So, who wants to come for Shabbos dinner?

Shabs

Part of my self love happy me mission is that I make green smoothies for breakfast. It helps that my roommate loves them too. Each morning we get out the blender, throw every vegetable we have in it, add seeds, some nuts, and water, and blend. It actually tastes really good. You might have to try it. One of our best creations was when we added mint leaves and raw cacao powder. Mint- chocolate  is a great combo. Almost the same color as the grass :p

green

I have also been making to time to lay on the ground and walk barefoot in the grass. So that means I’ve been having some picnics. Nurturing my soul!

picnic

My new favorite place to eat out is the Earth to table restaurant in Bondi Junction. It’s raw, vegan, and gluten free so everything is safe for me to indulge in. And when I say indulge, I mean indulge. Even though it is “healthy”, it is a guilty pleasure kind of place that is perfect for a Sunday morning brunch. Which is exactly what happened last week, Look at my yummy teechino and banana “bread”. It was divine.

lunch

 

 

Life is pretty awesome! I’m just trying to savor every minute. I Can’t believe 2 months have passed already. It doesn’t really seem possible. Then again, looking back on what I’ve been doing, I guess it does. I’m loving being DarcyDownUnder!

I think that’s the catch up! Also, I don’t think I should wait so long between posts because that was a lot to fit in to one note. If you made it this far, I commend you. If you took a nap along the way, I understand. Also, i'm realizing that i'm not such a great blogger. Good news for me (and you) this isn't my job. Mostly i'm doing it for my Grandparents ( hi Grandma and Grandpa sweetiepie!). 

…to wherever my adventure waits : )

Comments

1

I am SO HAPPY you get to eat real food that you actually love all the time now. <3

  Becca Aug 22, 2013 6:02 AM

2

Loved your blog and am so happy that you are having such a great adventure.
How are your allergy problems doing with all the healthy foods? It sounds like they are improving. Have you met any interesting guys to date? We love to hear from you and read your blog. Love, Grandma.

  Grandma Sweetie pie Aug 23, 2013 2:53 AM

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.