Existing Member?

Roads Away from Home “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac

An Introduction

USA | Tuesday, 24 April 2018 | Views [398]

What does one do prior to committing 5 years of his/her life to getting a PhD in a small, Midwest town? Travel the world of course!!! (Or maybe let's just start with Europe. Baby steps.) Before diving back into academia, I need a hard reboot--and this trip offers me the perfect opportunity to do just that.

In what I would call a fairly last minute decision, I have decided to spend 2 months backpacking through Eastern (and some Western) Europe. Although I will likely burn through most of my savings account (sorry mom and dad), I can't wait to venture out of my comfort zone, meet new people, hike beautiful landscapes, and learn all about different cultures. Oh, and as a true Wisconsinite at heart, I'm really looking forward to trying ALL of the adult beverages: vodka, wine, beer, becherovka, schnapps, rakija, limoncello, and ouzo just to name a few. My adventure starts May 1st in Kraków, Poland and will take me through Czech Republic, Austria, Croatia, Southern and Northern Italy, and the Greek Islands. I'll be travelling with friends and family for about one month and travelling solo the other month. This "blog" is to record my movement and activities and show you--my family and friends--what I am up to! In order to satiate my nerdiness, I hope to incorporate some science history and/or geology facts whenever I can. But don't worry, I won't just talk about that. Food, architecture, people, and funny encounters are all on the docket. :) 

Please feel free to check in on me! And let me know if there is anything in particular you want to know about my travels along the way. (I'm pretty sure you can comment on my posts on this website, but if not, just email me.) Wish me luck!

xoxo,

Your roamin' rock nerd

Preliminary map of my travel itinerary. 16,340 miles of travel, total.

Preliminary map of my travel itinerary. 16,340 miles of travel, total.

Tags: europe, introduction, travel

About daralynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.