Existing Member?

Adventure is Worthwhile

Port Macquarie

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 24 November 2008 | Views [986]

 The first real Aussie lad we met was on the bus ride from Sydney to Port Macquarie. He pointed to kangaroos outside our bus window and gave us the whole low down on the differences between kangaroos and wallabys. Wallabys are smaller by the way. The rest of the trip was spent intently staring out the windows screaming when we caught a glimpse of Australia's famous creatures.

 Port Macquarie was a small town with not too much going on but it felt good to get out of the city. The hostel we stayed at was called Ozzie Pozzie backpackers. It was small but very charming. This time we had a room all to ourselves. The hostel owner Phil took us under his wing. He was the sweetest old man always making sure we were comfortable and had enough to eat.

 The weather was cold and dreary it was hard to believe we were in Australia. With the beach out of the picture we were really running out of options for daytime activities. We went for a lot of walks and did some window shopping. Not exactly exciting. Night time was pretty dead too. We picked up some UDL at the local liquerland and tried our best to find some action. The bars were closed so we walked the streets aimlessly until we ended up at Dominoes Pizza. We sat on the curb and assured each other the weekend would be better.

 Things in Port Macquarie eventually did pick up. The weather got better and we spent it on the beach roasting ourselves to a painful shade of red. We met two guys Mic and Rob who first chased after Morgan and Meah with their car which scared the hell out of Morgan and Meah but they found it quite hilarious and offered to take us all sightseeing Port Macquarie as an apology. We went to the lighthouse which had an amazing view of the town, 4x4ing to Mic's favourite spot in the world a cliff at the end of a road where we threw rocks and listened to them crash through the trees and thud as they hit the ground, they took us to see "Bogans" which were dirty old men that drink beer and fish all day, and then finally the best part they took us to an expensive restaurant and bought us lunch. I think they felt bad for us hungry backpackers. It was an awesome day and we couldn't thank them enough.

We also crossed a lot of Aussie animals off the list such as:
-Gigantic spider
-Fruit bat
-Dolphin!!
-Kangaroo
-Koala Bear

Tags: australia, beaches, dolphins, hiking, kangaroos, port macquarie

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.