Existing Member?

Adventure is Worthwhile

Arriving in Australia- Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 19 November 2008 | Views [598]

 We were six girls straight out of highschool about to embark on a trip that we would never forget. For some of us it was our first time on a plane and for all of us it would be the longest stretch away from our families and our boring hometown. Excited was an understatement to what we were feeling.

 I have always wanted to travel and couldn't bear the thought of trudging off to university straight away. So I rounded up a couple of friends and pitched my plan. Soon our group of a couple grew to a group of six. Everyone warned us that six was too many and we knew that too but continued on together anyhow. Our crew consisted of:
Meah:Always puts others before herself a very charming girl
Morgan:Very outgoing,and girly. Loves to be the center of attention
Paige: An adventurous scatterbrain not afraid of anything
Miranda:Some would call her intimidating until you get to know her. She's a loyal friend and doensn't put up with shit.  
Sam:A very honest person who sometimes likes to keep to herself
and myself (Dani) I guess you could call me the team motivator. I liked to plan where to head next and get everyone excited about it.

 Leaving Canada it was minus 20 and snow covered the ground. A three hour flight later we landed in L.A and ran outside of the airport hugging the palm trees near the road estatic to wear t-shirts outdoors. After an eleven hour flight to Tokyo, 8 hours to Singapore, and 7 hours to Sydney we had finally arrived. It felt like a dream and we were all a bit delarious after two days of travelling and not much sleep. We got a taxi from the airport and arrived at our first hostel "Wake Up". It was nicer than we expected it was like a hotel but with bunkbeds in the rooms. We ran all the way up to our room so thrilled to be there. We had a ten person dorm and a very goodlooking, very shirtless, englishman greeted us as the six of us bursted into the room. He was the first person we met on the trip. We took that as a good omen.

 Our first few days in Sydney went by so quickly. We had so much fun. We look back at it now and laugh at how naive we were to everything. Growing up in a city of 30 000 did not leave us very city savy and we had trouble trying to figure out how to get around in a city of 4 million. If possible we always avoided the bus and walked everywhere. We made it to Darling Harbour which was a nice place to hang out and sightsee. Then we went to the aquarium. We weren't overly impressed by it but it was alright. We hung out a Bondi Beach for a day and got tackled by a few waves. It was a beautiful but crowded beach -great for people watching. Later that night we decided to fork out $40 dollars and join the Route 69 Party Bus. We were a bit wary about it at first but ended up having a blast. We had fun with the other twenty or so other people on the bus bar hopping in our pink t-shirts around Sydney.   

 Our days in Sydney were up so we decided to go with a Greyhound Kilometre pass to get around Australia. It costed us $500 for enough Kilometres to get us from Sydney to Cairns or wherever else the road would lead us. Our next destination being a stop in Port Macquarie.

Tags: australia, bondi beach, city, sight seeing, sydney

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.