Existing Member?

The Size of the World

not exactly the beginning

NEPAL | Thursday, 27 March 2008 | Views [413] | Comments [1]

this isny exactly the beginning of my landing in nepal, but its starting somewhere and keeping with the flow of writing, which i am hating at the moment and not at all enjoying what is coming out of me, so sorry if this is crpytic. will write more soon...

from the safety of a crate on top of an elepant, we saw the jungle. each clumsy heavy movement brought us further from the dusty crowdd road and closer to the wild. with each step i thought either i would fall off or the elephant would relent to the weight and roll over. but on she went, for two hours. as we wntered the park, local women threw bananas at us to feed the elephant, trying to make some money off our entertainment. 
we saw a rhino with her baby, and cicled around them to get a better view. their bodies looked like they were pieced together, like some kind of man made machine. we carried on and heard the mating cris of the female peacock and the male flaunting and doing his dance. a wild chicken was in the distance, watching.
We walked to the river for elephant bathing time which brought out the most childish sense of playful wonder. I had to hold on to the huge floppy ears and wrap my leg around the trunk of the elephant in order for it to bring the trunk up and pull me on top of its slippery back.
After commands shouted in nepali, the lephant would squirt water all over the place- the best sprinkler ive ever had! They seemed to be having such a grand time playing in the water, going under for a while and laying still while they were scrubbed. I heard the people work with the same animal its whole life- i wonder how deep the relationship is between them. I hope they dont drug them.
 
I went ofr a walk around the village after, shuffling my feet in the flimsy flip flops along the many rocks in the way. I passed by goats of all sizes, water buffalo , dogs, and chickens. The smells emanating around me were so, real. From mud huts with thatched roofs came namastes in many voices, my reply full of desire to say more. Past women breastfeeding, children playing, and elders resting- I walked. It struck me that every other hut doubled as a makeshit store with everything from bottled water to carlsberg beer to snickers bars. it was so incongruent to the surroundings and yet seemingly so neccessary. 
 
For our canoe ride we sat in a hand carved canoe made from a type of big tree in the area that I didnt catch. IT was naturally beautiful.One mane stood in the back and rowed with a long stick. Within moments we saw a huge crocodile partially submerged in the water.  A moment later, just a small head peeking out, and after that a young one lazing on the sand. From here we continued on land for our jungle walking tour, protected by one guy our age and one who looked around 14 carrying bamboo sticks. Immediately we were walking on charred ground that continued for most of our walk, some fire that people started I guess because in the end we saw it was still going but nodoby seemed to mind. It was really awful to see the damage.

Deer ran ahead of us and mnkeys climbed to our side. Wild boar feces created a field in front of us. Deeper we went, crossing foot bridges and murky swamps. Eventually we came to a clearing and saw flames ablaze, albeit seemingly unthreatening- the cause of all the destruction, there were three of them going, and we couldnt do much about it. I noticed my reation differed from their more apathectic response, as I was trying to explain we had to find some way to put it out.

IT was nearing sunset and the sky was alive with colors like the fire, but much friendlier. We departed the forest and headed for the tall grasslands when the dark clouds rolled closer. WE continued on when suddenly darkness threatened and the sky opened up. At first it was a refreshing drizzle, then it came down thicker and faster until it was huge pellets of hail. We took cover under a tree initially, in between its massive trunk, but this was a hopeless move. We began running full force as the rain turned into a fierce hail and the ground seemed to be spitting the water back at us, sitting open mouthed without gulping. We found shelter under a tin roof at the elephant breeding center and watched the elephants play in the mud as the babies roamed about freely. Only the adults are chained up, and I watched one female bend down in the mud and pull herself up with practiced grace, despite her front two legs being chained together. After half an hour of jogging in place to keep warm, the pitter patter on the roof died down. We trudged through the deep puddles to the riverand waddled in a canoe across to the awaiting jeep. There was a mystical feeling in the air, that of the first deep rain of the season and the people preparing for the monsoon ahead. THe women and children had emerged from their houses and were huddled together telling stories or wading in the puddles. The inexplainable scent aafter rainfall wafted through the air as people started moving about their business, refreshed.

At night we went to the Tharu Cultural Programme. It seems like a wonderful way to keep the children involved in the community and out of trouble. Village life certainly is so different than the city. They performed different dances, using sticks for defense, the harbest, and even a peacock dance with an excellent costume that looked real.

I will think fondly of the noices of the night here once back in the city.

-----

Today I met the group of people that I will be living with for the next few months. We walked together to the house and stopped at the Monkey Temple where we used all our strength and stamina to climb the endless steps to the top, rewarded with a stunning veiw of the city and many samples of the converging shrines for both buddhism and hinduism.
Tomorrow we being our nepali lessons....

I will write more on the program soon.

Comments

1

AMAZING! How exciting... i cant wait to here of more adventures!

  Angelic Pierce Apr 1, 2008 9:50 AM

About danielle_bergman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.