Existing Member?

Experiences in Ecuador

Sunday the 5th, 2014

ECUADOR | Sunday, 5 January 2014 | Views [221]

On Sunday the 5, our class toured Ingapirca Ruins that were almost two hours from Cuenca. On the way to the ruins, we stopped at a market where they were selling fruits, vegetables, meat, and trading animals at an auction like situation. It was strange seeing animals in bags being trades. The animals consisted of chickens, rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, and cats. It is sad how they treat the animals. Because here in Ecuador they are not considered as, household pets like in the United States. After we left the market, we made our way to Ingapirca Ruins. The ruins where not what I had expected to see but it made me appreciate them more because I was not expecting what I saw. The history behind the ruins impressed me since the methods that they used seem to be advanced for their time. The ruins had tons of roads and water systems that came from the top of the mountain to the ruins. After we finished our tour, we got an hour to eat lunch at Ingapirca and shop around at their stores. I bought many gifts for my family and friends there. Once we left Ingapirca we drove back to Cuenca making a stop at a famous church called Lady of the Morning View. It was absolutely gorgeous inside and out. We had to walk up 148 steep stairs to get into the entrance of the church, which was actually tiring. Once at the top, the view down was an amazing. I took many pictures. Legend is the first time you walk into the church you are supposed to make a wish and that wish is supposed to come true. Therefore, lets hope mine does! The drive back to Cuenca was filled with beautiful scenery. Once back at CEDEI two of my classmates and I went to a café to work on a project we have to present on Monday. I went home for dinner after to have lasagna and rice that tasted excellent. Once dinner was over, I got ready to go to the parade with my brother and his friends. The parade was a festival in honor of the Day of the Innocent Saints. I had so much fun at the parade because there were tons of people, music, street venders, and floats with music and different themes. I was able to meet all my brothers friends and hang out and talk to them, they were so nice and a lot of fun. Again, it was strange to be one of the only “gringos” or white people in a sea full of Ecuadorians because I stood out like a sore thumb. People would constantly look at me and I could tell they would talk about me. Even though I was with a group of local people the same age as me, since I looked different from the typical Ecuadorian person I got many looks. After the parade was over, we grabbed food at a restaurant and walked the girls’ home that are friends with my brother. By the time my brother and I got home, it was 11:00 pm and time for me to go to sleep. Sunday was an incredible day filled with adventures I could never do in the United States. I am blessed to be able to have this amazing experience to participate in and immerse myself in the Ecuadorian culture. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.