Existing Member?

Adventures in South America

day1

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 4 September 2012 | Views [334] | Comments [2]

it feels odd to be keeping an online blog.

today was day one.  The hardest part is just being alone.  But I got myself out of bed, took a map from the apartment and headed out with a few goals in mind.

First, exchange money.  There was supposed to be one a few blocks down, but as I passed it there were bars across it.  So, I kept walking, took a right turn, then decided if I get lost in New York where it is a grid with street signs, I should probably turn back.  Good thing I did because the money exchange was open, they just do their business though the bars.  I have no idea how much money I got in exchange.

I asked the man where to buy a cell phone, he said go to the plaza.

Off to the plaza I went.  Finally, some good scenary compared to the hundreds of autoshop kinda stores on the other street.  People were sitting in the plaza, enjoying the sun and the fountain.  But I did not see any cell phone store.  I kept walking and started to see little stands selling phones.  I did not think this could be right.  But finally I got up the courage to try to ask in my terrible spanish if I could buy a cell phone and how it would work.

Got a cell phone, now I needed a phone card, or so I thought.  Walk, Walk Walk.  dizzy light headed dizzy, no street signs, no cross walks, i feel very foreign.

UNTIL shopping heaven!  the colors were incredible, bright reds and greens and blues.  hand woven tapestries, bags galore, old relics.  I couldnt stay long because the altitude was really starting to get to me.  

I went into a little shop to ask for a phone card.  Thank goodness for this helpful couple.  They explained that i needed a chip for the phone.  then they even registered the phone for me using his personal number!  score, i have a cell phone.

Even though, I wasnt feeling hungry, I knew I had to eat...intimidating.

I made my way towards a very steep street where they sold every fruit and veggie and meat and mystery thing in carts.  I bravely entered a small cafe where I was served yummy soup, with some mystery meat and a slice of bread.  I was already full and I knew there was another course coming... Next came chorizo with white sauce, rice, salad, boiled potato, more bread.  it was huge, and as I looked around everyone had cleaned their plates.  I didnt want to be rude so I ate and ate and ate.  Try as I may, I couldnt finish it.  So i Paid and off I went.

Ater going the wrong way, I finally made it home to take a very long nap.

 also i cant figure out how to get picture on my ipad so no pics yet.

Comments

1

conditioning!! try to be active as much as possible every day so as to build up a new RBC count. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

  Hal Sep 6, 2012 6:00 AM

2

You are so impressive, girl! I can't stop smiling. Love and miss you.

  Sarah Sep 11, 2012 6:38 AM

About danalee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.