Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Working for the man: part 2

JAPAN | Friday, 24 March 2006 | Views [644] | Comments [2]

So, after a glut of interviews, I have been offered both of othe jobs that I wanted. Starting in April, my Japanese class will move to the afternoon, giving me free time in the mornings. Because of this, I have firstly accepted a job at a high school in Kunitachi, which is about 50 minutes away from my house. The school is called Kokubunji High, and I will work twice a week, on a Monday and Wednesday, for a total of six hours. The pay is great and I will get a chance to study on the train. The school's homepage is here .

The other job that I have been offered is with a chain company called GABA. I really wanted this position because there are offices all over Japan, with one right near where I work. Teachers can allocate the time that they want to teach per week, and students will then apply for their lessons, meaning that it is ultra flexible: a good thing if you are a busy student! It is in an ultra modern office, with up to date tools and equipment. The majority of the students come from a business background, and lessons only for 40 minutes a time. Whats more, each teacher is issued with a laptop computer with which to access the net, or the students profile. GABA, I think is a really decent company to work for, with promising opportunities. Take a look at their website here to see what I mean.

So, the jobs are in place, which is a good thing considering that I have less that $1,000 left in my account, and I must pay that to the landlord in the next week or so. The private classes are keeping me going, but the biggest hurdle at the moment is getting my hands on my work visa! It is still two weeks away, and will come into effect once my tourist visa exprires- oh, why didn't I apply for the working holiday visa!!

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Dan,
Great news. What will be your high school students ages? I hear Japenese high schools are very strict, you'll have to let us know what it's like. Does this affect your return dates?

Martin

  Martin Mar 25, 2006 12:49 AM

2

Hi Martin, their ages are from 15-17, and from what I hear, the schools are very strict! When I had the interview, I got bowed at all the way to the head's office.....At the moment my plan is to return for Richard's wedding in August, and I am planning to stick to those dates- but then probably I will go back to Japan. The JPLT examination is in September (or December, one of the two) and I am working towards having those in the bag on my return, to have something concrete in the bag to show for my three years Asian study!

  dan_in_japan Mar 26, 2006 12:10 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.