Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Birthday, Christmas, End of year party, New Year Party....

JAPAN | Tuesday, 26 December 2006 | Views [1163]

December certainly is the month of parties in Japan. Notwithstanding that I had my birthday party, coupled with Anders' leaving party, the locals also celebrate Christmas day, End of Year, (called Bonenkai) Beginning of year (shin-nenkai) and the usual ones that we do- despite one being called beginning of year, this is still celebrated in December. When you factor into the equation that there are parties for work, clubs and societies and then family, these parties all add up, and hit you in the wallet as they average 30 pounds a pop. 

It seems that this is the season that the Japanese really let their hair down- one of my students has not been to class for 4 lessons. His previous attendance had been at 100%. After calling into class to excuse himself, I was told that once invited to a party, it is very hard to say "no, I can't go", or things to that effect. From this and the following hangover, an 8a.m. class becomes an impossibility-and the Japanese people I know have been clocking up their parties!

I went to my first on Saturday, which was the end of year party- I was not sure what to expect, firstly because it was the Jiu-jitsu party (always a rowdy affair) and because it was scheduled to last all night. It was hosted in the Dojo. 50 people attended and each paid 30 pounds- for this it was all you could eat sushi and buffet, plus all drinking. Everything was going fine at this particular party, up until we had to give a speech- I was terrified! My teacher told me whist one of the 50 was up rambling on that all I had to talk about were my thoughts on the year thats about to go, and my hopes for the future. Emboldened by his advice and six beers, I got up and thanked everyone for a fun year, and told them that I would try my best in the following year- it felt like ages but it was only a few minutes.....

That party lasted until 5.30am- roll on 2007 (quickly).

Tags: Party time

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.