Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Arigatoo Kami Sama!

JAPAN | Wednesday, 30 August 2006 | Views [994] | Comments [3]

Tokyo Immigration.

Or, thanks a million god!

So after a mere 14 day wait, I received a post card from the Tokyo-Regional Immigration bureau, asking me to come to their office to discuss the result of my new visa application. I thought this was far too quick, and expected the worst, as previously I had to wait 2 months for work permission. Also, I have heard many a nightmare from work collegues saying that it really is an arduous process.  

But, I went there today, gave them the card, and after waiting 30 minutes got issued with my new visa, which is imaginatevely titled, "Specialist in International Humanities". To you and me, this means teacher! I don't know whether it was because I was dealing with another department in immigration, or whether I applied through work, but I am so happy that this hurdle has been cleared quickly and painlessly, and that I have residency for at least another year (whether I take this up or not I don't know yet).

I am in my last three weeks in school, and I will be pleased when it is over. School has been great for me, they started me off with Japanese, holding our hands as we got to grips with the writing system and what not, but now I think that there are better avenues in which I can learn. I have a private teacher, Ayano Sensei, who I meet twice a week. Honestly, I think I gain more from two of her classes (2 hours) than a week of class. This is because in her class I am forced to speak 70% of the time, whist in school, this is probably only 10% due to the 10 other people attending. Also, because there is little bureuocracy, we can just sit down and get on with it, thus not losing any time!

Tags: The Planning Phase

Comments

1

Hi Dan, Congratulations! It's a doddle for you,
but hard for another person.
I have expected to you, Specialist in International Humanities!

your friend natsu

  natsuo Aug 31, 2006 1:50 PM

2

Hey man,
Thanks, I think it was too much of a doddle, like only 2 weeks- anyway, Ill tell you all about it this Thursday eh

  dan_in_japan Aug 31, 2006 6:05 PM

3

Dan,
Congrats on the Visa.
Richards wedding went very well, but you were missed of course. We stayed on for the rest of the week and had a great time.

Martin

  Martin Moorehead Sep 4, 2006 10:01 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.