Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Trekking: photo-tastic

THAILAND | Friday, 18 November 2005 | Views [717] | Comments [4]

Were back in the land of the living now after our great three day trek in the bad bush. This is the second time I have typed this due to a bad computer, so perhaps this post will be a little brief! As you can see, the picture is of me on my trusty steed. I have uploaded some photos, but internet time is precious, and it takes time to upload, so there are only a few.

Here's what we have been up to.......

The night of the 15th saw CM host a festival to celebrate the coming of the monsoon rains. All seemingly took part, from school children to local businesses. There was a great carnival atmosphere with some really bright costumes. Afterwards, we went to the river to see people sending lanterns down the river. These, along with the seemingly hundreds of sky lanterns made for a magical evening.

The next day we were up early and soon on the road in a 4X4 heading for the mountains. There were 10 of us in all, 4 UK, 2 from Belgium, 2 Swiss and 2 Gernams. There was a great atmosphere between us and we got on well. After three hours driving we got out and started trekking through the forest. At times there were no pathways and we had to rough it through the bush. The views were amazing and our guide did really well filling us in on what was what. After a few hours we came to the tribe where we would spend the night. I was glad that I could see some positive benefits of my tour fee. The village had recently set up two solar panel units, one for the sleeping area, and one for the communal area. The people of the tribe were really welcoming and made us some delicious, filling food. At dinner time we were given brown rice and curry (100% from the land they farmed) and it was perhaps some of the nicest food I have ever tasted! There must have been some quality herbs growing there, because the taste was so good. Almost as good was the fact that the chef kept bringing more until we were stuffed. With that, and after some multi lingual word games around the fire, it was off to bed.

We were up early again for some more trekking. I was eager to get this section of the trek done and dusted, because at the other side waiting for us were the elephants. Riding the elephants was simply amazing! No matter how rocky or unsure the terrain, the elephants negotiated it perfectly, and whilst being carried we were able to see some of the precious views, which were stunning. The elephants led us to our next base where we would spend the night.

The base was in a really remote clearing, on the banks of a river at the foot of a waterfall. There were only two huts and one perminant resident, who insisted on using catapults to hit empty cans - he would try and get us to bet on who would hit more, the winner (often him) being bought a beer! The site was really remote and perfect for chilling. We spent the hot evening in the river, also sliding down some of the smooth rock faces and relaxing in the plunge pool. After that, and some beers with our host around the fire (and more excellent food - god, the Thai's can do food!) it was off to bed.

And so to today. More trekking and some white water rafting (without the white). It was a great way to relax, even after Barry decided to soak everyone!

Tonight we will prepare for the move into Laos. My passport is back with its new visas, and I am really looking forward to getting on with the rest of my journey! Keep reading and posting your comments (suggestions on how to make it better)? I love reading them!

See you in Luang Prabang............... 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Sounds absolutely fantastic - I'm trying to imagine you on an elephant in the jungle, ubelievable!! And sleeping in the jungle [very brave, if you ask me]. I'm into scraping the ice of the car windscreen at the moment - very exciting [not]! Cant wait to see the pics - keep in touch. Mum xxxxxxxxxx

  Mum Nov 19, 2005 6:33 AM

2

Hi Dan, we wish you all the best for your further trip. It was a fortunate coincidence that we met each other once again in Chaing Mai. We enjoy the time we stay together. Perhaps we follow you to Japan .... (o: Tanja want to say thank you for the Thai massage of her feet. It feels still good.... (o; All the best for you & a big hug Greetings to Kari The Germans

  Wolfgang and Tanja, the 2 Germans in the jungle Nov 19, 2005 6:31 PM

3

Hi Dan , I am very jealous of you that you could go everywhere you want , would you take me together next time. The elephone couldn't scare you ,could you!I will change my e-mail adrress ,could you send e-mail to me with this.Thanks , when do you back to China again, I will treat you.Have a good time in Asia. Scott

  Scott Nov 22, 2005 2:56 PM

4

Dan, I'm loving reading your adventures. Takes my mind off commuting, grey skies, work and the old weather. Still we may have some snow to play in this week. Take care M

  Martin Nov 24, 2005 9:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.