Existing Member?

Experiences in Asia

Anatomy of an Earthquake

JAPAN | Tuesday, 6 June 2006 | Views [23139] | Comments [2]

Kobe Earthquake

Kobe Earthquake

Japan, as a country lives with the constant problem of natural disasters, perhaps more so that other countires. Here, earthquakes, typhoons and tornadoes are a way of life, and because of this, the Tokyo government created the Disaster Centre (well, something like that, I cant remember the name exactly) in order to educate people about such problems. Schools, businesses and other set-ups are asked to go in order to get better prepared for the next quake, which I am told will be sooner rather than later.

So school organised an excursion to the centre, which is in Kichijoji, about 30 minutes from my house. With the next BIG earthquake an estimated 4 years overdue (where did I hear that?) this was probably a good idea! I have experienced two earthquakes, of around force 3. They lasted seconds, and whilst an experience, I can see that a 7, or the maximum, would be terrifying indeed.

The centre has some great things, and firstly, we were treated to a cinema style film, in 3D showing a movie about a quake. When the quake struck, the room also shook. Along with the 3D, this was really life like. The film focused on problems that I didn't think about, such as what to do if you were in the subway at the time of the quake- (I'm always on the subway!)

There were interactive things to try out, such as escaping from a building which was on fire (simulated of course, but there was plenty of smoke!) when it came to my turn, I entered the building and then crouched down, feeling with my hands for the exit, which was around the corner- sadly to say, the computer decreed that I had died in the room due to smoke- but what does it know!

My favorite was the mock room which was hooked up to a machine which could simulate a force 7 quake, the biggest. All the furniture in the room was made of foam, apart from a table. When the quake started, we were to turn off the gas, open the door, wedge it, and then get under the table, keeping our hands inside- the force of the simulation was amazing, and really life like- the power of such things in real life must be terrible. Finally, it was into a wind tunnel to experience a typhoon with some jets of water- we were given water-proofs- this was great fun, but did nothing for my hair, a problem considering that I was to go to work directly after........

The attendant was great and she spoke slowly, so I was able to catch about 65% of her Japanese- I also learned some greast phrazes, which I will definitely remember to use when the BIG ONE arrives..........

Tags: The Planning Phase

Comments

1

Heads up-not many tornados in Japan, but rather Typhoons- just keeping it real.........

  Dan Tinsley Jun 15, 2006 7:49 AM

2

This is the best line yet mate!!!!!!!!!:

The film focused on problems that I didn't think about, such as what to do if you were in the subway at the time of the quake- (I'm always on the subway!)

  Nick Oct 11, 2007 6:12 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.