Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

Exploring Poland

POLAND | Saturday, 12 September 2009 | Views [866]

We are in Pabianice which is the city where my Mother grew up and where most of her family still live.. There isn't much to see in Pabianice but this isn't too worrying for Dan and I as we are just keen to see my family (who I haven't seen for 3 years!) relax and recharge at the half way point of our trip. We are staying with my Cousin Justyna and her Husband Kuba. These two are just so much fun and the four of us never stop laughing, its the best... It is so great to see everyone again... No body has aged a day except for my little niece and nephews who have grown just so much! Our arrival has been celebrated with so many amazing meals, including he best Vodka you could imagine... When we went to my Grandmothers place for lunch the everything was spectacular – Dan ate a mountain of food. I have never in my life thought that a man could eat just so much in one sitting... (Well maybe you could Pat but it would be close)... After a few days of relaxation, Dan, Justyna and I set off to a little town called Kroczyce... The area surrounding Kroczyce is renown as one of the more picturesque regions of Poland.

This place attracts many tourists due to its diverse landscape, rocky hills, natural caves, amazingly shaped limestone rocks and many many castle ruins.

When we arrived we met up with my uncle Grzesiek his wife Krisa and my cousin kuba... So the 6 of us set off on foot to the nearby rocky mountain where the views were spectacular...

It was great to see nature up close again and there were so many people out and about rock climbing, absailing and hiking through these mountains... truly spectacular...


In the morning the 6 of us met up with another 4 family members and the 11 of us (just like herding cats) made a full day of site seeing.. We started off with the castle Ogrodzie Niec ruins in Podzamcze which dates back to the 1300's..

The castle ruins were so picturesquely located and simply beautiful..It was great fun exploring this place...

After a little bite to eat and a great pint of Polish beer we were all ready to then head off and explore the medieval fortress of Birow Mountain which was reconstructed a few years ago..

As we were on a roll we decided that we had time to check out another Castle, however this one was not in ruins and simply gorgeous 

The castle in Pieskowa Skala which resembles the renaissance style of residential architecture and is still today filled with many renaissance artworks and serves as a museum..

So after another beautiful Polish beer we headed back to our hotel restaurant for dinner, drinking and dancing... And that is what we did... After a great meal and a few drinks we were all very relaxed. The restaurant was empty except for the 11 of us but we still had our own personal band playing.... After that band finished we headed to yet another place to continue partying into the night – it was so much fun! After a great sleep we were off again for another full day of site seeing.. The first stop was the Castle Olsztyn ruins...

It was so so cold today but this didn't spoil the fun...

or the views..

We then stopped off in the Forrest for a little bit of mushroom picking...

We had a quiet last night away where Dan and I learnt a new card game very much similar to Uno it was pretty funny... We did of course play while drinking a few beers LOL.. The last morning on our weekend away we had a quick stop off at Czestochowa which is the home to one of the most famous Catholic Churches in all of Europe.. After a long and event filled weekend we were heading back to relax with the family in Pabianice..


View from Castle Ogrodzie Niec

View from Castle Ogrodzie Niec

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.