Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

Exploring Egypt

EGYPT | Sunday, 30 August 2009 | Views [446]

We arrived in the city of Aswan after a night of no sleep in a very uncomfortable Egyptian train that I think we would both rather forget... There was not much to see in Aswan however the McDonalds were we had lunch was worth a huge mention! definitely one of the great Egyptian tourist locations LOL. We had a free day to explore this town and catch up on some much needed sleep. In the evening we caught a motor boat to the amazing Philae Temple (Built for the Goddess Isis) for a light and sound show and it was magical.

The experience was amazing as throughout the show the temple was lit in different coloured lights and this gave the feeling that this temple was still very much alive with the spirits of the gods...

What was really interesting was the names of the persons that have visited this temple including the great Napoleon who name remains etched in the temple walls! Our second day of Aswan began in the middle of the night with a 3.15am wake up call as we were off to join a police secured convoy through the desert to the famous Abu Simbil Temples.. There were about a hundred vehicles in this convoy as protection is required while traveling through the desert... A little scary but all good... Although it was a ridiculously early start we were able to watch the sun rise over the desert and this was so beautiful...

After 4 hours in a bus we arrived and the Abu Simbil temples which were built for Ramses II and his wife..

Now this king was completely in love with himself... This was incredible..

We were not allowed to take photos inside so here is a photo of the inside from a post card to see how glorious this place really was..

This tour is just go go go as that same night we caught a motorboat to a traditional Nubian Village during sunset - so beautiful.

It was a huge eye opening experience especially when we ventured into the local school where a teacher tried and failed to teach us Arabic... It was pretty funny. We also visited a local house where we were able to play with pet crocodiles and ate a traditional Nubian dinner (it was nice but very bland).

After dinner we were privy to a Nubian show with dancing, singing, and of course, audience participation where Dan was again picked from the crowd to preform and it was hilarious..

Tomorrow we are off again heading further Nth through Egypt

Abu Simbil Temple 2

Abu Simbil Temple 2

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.