Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

Venice, beautiful Venice

ITALY | Friday, 14 August 2009 | Views [379] | Comments [1]

Ahh Venice... After an excruciating 12 hour journey in the most uncomfortable bus in the world we arrived at the best camp site Europe had to offer! (it may not be the case but if you compared it to the others this place was amazing!). We arrived a little later than expected as our driver – Pete the Slovakian who we love – got lost and added a fabulous 2 hours to our already long journey... But we did get the chance to have a quick stop over in Verona – to see the famous balcony of Romeo and Juliet.

Regardless we were so happy to finally be off the bus and as you can imagine we were a little flat when we arrived but this was short lived.. The campsite had 6 other contiki groups staying and the bar and nightclub that was located here was pumping. To lift everyones spirits the site managers put on a contiki Olympics – it wasn't too out of control and was hilarious fun with events such as sumo suit wrestling, tug-of-war, best abs, boat racing and (unfortunately) a wet t-shirt competition,,, Neither Dan or I competed (thank god) and it was a good night... We had a full day in Venice to look forward to tomorrow so there were not too many shenanigans had.

We arrived in Venice early and it was everything I had expected.. We started the tour with a lace making demonstrating (Dan loved this so much I couldn't pull him away from the traditional venetian lace shop.... ok.... lots of sarcasm inserted here LOL... I don't know why they both to take 34 young people to a lace shop but anyhow....) The group then ventured to a glass blowing demo – now this was incredible, the master glass blower made a vase and horse in seconds and they were stunning... The SCOTs (the team – Serious Couples on Tour) set off together for a serious day put in Venice. We had a quick stop over at MacDonald's (its terrible I know but the fries were to die for!) which was conveniently located at the base of the magnificent St Mark's Basilica. The line to get in was enormous but out tour leader let us in on a little secret, if you go and check your bag you get a card that allows you to skip the line – which we did checking in an bag with an empty water bottle and in seconds were in the most amazing church! The interior is completely covered with mosaics and when the sun filters in – it lights up in the most amazing golden glow – this is a trip highlight for me – I loved it so so much! You are not allowed to take photos but Dan had a few sneaky moves up his sleeve so that we could share the beauty...

We then headed through the streets to get to Rialto Bridge. No cars are allowed in Venice therefore the only way you can get around is by foot or Gondola. Its an incredible place, the streets had no order and it is almost as if you are walking through a labyrinth... We did not get lost surprisingly... There are so many little walking bridges, amazing streets lined with fabulous Italian restaurants and cafes and so so many high end fashion stores...

We stopped off at what looked to be a fairly inexpensive restaurant however we almost died when we received the bill – Dans coke was 4.10 Euro ($8 AU), our two pizzas cost 23 Euro ($46 AU) and we were also charged for the bread that was put on the table. Heidi asked for an anti pesto plate and almost died when they charged her a whopping 33 Euro ($66) for a little bit of ham, salami, tomato and cheese – so the meal cost the six off us 103 Euro – we didn't tip a euro cent, it was delicious but frightening for those on a budget! After that excitement we spent the afternoon wandering through the beautiful streets and sat by the water watching the gondolas creep by – We love Venice!!!! To finish up the amazing day we had a gondola ride with the team whilst enjoying delicious Italian Champagne..

The 6 of us were arranged in such a way that ensured we wouldn't rock the boat so I was sat up the front and Dan next to Jeff in the lovers seats at the back, it didn't bother us too much that we weren't together, it was still very romantic...

Tomorrow we are off again to Florence however had a short stop over at the famous leaning tower of Pisa!


Venice

Venice

 

Comments

1

rebels.

  drduggazz Aug 30, 2009 2:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.