Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

First days

PAKISTAN | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [1105] | Comments [2]

And so ends the first week in Lahore. It’s coming to the end of summer, so the heat is slowly abating, or at least I am acclimatising after that sudden jump from Melbourne winter. Of course what remains – 30 degrees at 9am – is still enough to slow all movement, human and otherwise, but that’s fine too. It’s easier to stop and smile when there was never much danger of going anywhere in the first place.

I have been staying in the University Guesthouse this last week. It is close to school, and a single bus ride [on the curiously named New Khan Metro] from the main art/ gallery/ museum district. The Lahore Museum has a particularly good collection of artifacts and miniatures, all displayed with a charmingly ad hoc sense of conservation and curatorship. As with the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, there is the definite sense that you find your own wonders here. Indeed the local name for the museum is the ‘wonder house’.

The staff at Beaconhouse have been incredibly friendly and helpful and have made the transition into Pakistani life as easy as one could hope. I have met many of the tutors and David Alesworth, the foundation year coordinator, as well as the Karachi based artist Mahreen Zuberi, with whom I will share the teaching of drawing to the first year students. I look forward to seeing how the students develop over the next few months. I am sure there will be surprises on both sides.

Also this week I begin my studies in miniature painting at BNU. It is a second year elective taken two nights a week. Mahreen tells me that we will be taught the basics of materials, preparation and style, and then how far we take it depends on how hard we work.

And finally I can now count to sixteen [sola] and agree [ji or acha] in Urdu. Cussing will have to come later, so for now khuda hafees!

Tags: people

 

Comments

1

what a thoroughly pleasant way to start your trip in pakistan. although the heat may be problematic for some, it sounds like you have settled in quickly and embraced the country, culture and people you will be spending the next 4 months with.

khuda hafees!
mim

  miriamvkenter Sep 8, 2007 10:53 AM

2

hi damon - sounds like a good start. i'll be most pleased to keep track of how you're finding things o'er there. in the meantime, we'll try to cope with the build up to the grand final and enjoy the sunshine instead. xxx alison

  alison Sep 10, 2007 10:27 AM

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.