Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

PAF Museum

PAKISTAN | Sunday, 21 February 2010 | Views [886]

During the week the Pak Air Force Museum is quiet save for the roar of civilian jetliners and military transport planes taking off from the nearby airport and air force base. As with military museums everywhere it is a curious mix of obsolete hardware and perfectly manicured gardens. Two workers are busy applying tiles to a new fountain, the lawns are even and green and the painted benches glossy and bright.

No wonder then that the place is popular with families on weekends and holidays

I arrive Friday morning, before the crowds, but well in time to watch crews assembling two enormous wedding marquees and sundry stalls selling ice cream, peanuts and souvenirs. There is almost no one else there. A group of students from Hyderabad [pre-engineering] come to say hello and practice their English. How many siblings do I have? Three. Including? No, four then.

A group of Iranians is picnicking under the enormous wing of a Russian transport plane, a four engine Antonov that looks like the less evolved cousin of the C130s that thunder overhead. One of the fathers is teaching English to students from the Persian International School. He has been in Karachi on contract for nearly three years. We both smile at the contrast between these peaceful gardens and the chaos of the city outside.

Given Pakistan's martial history the collection is good. Russian built MiGs and their Chinese copies, delta winged Mirage fighters, American versions of British Canberra bombers, Lockhead F104s and missiles on static display.

But my favourites are the Antonovs, AN 12 and 26, defected by their crews to Peshawar during the Afghanistan crisis and grounded not long after due to lack of parts. Their wings, so heavy and improbably suited to flight, cast shade under which children play and laugh, and men lie around on blankets brought just for the purpose.

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.