Existing Member?

be curious

Amsterdam to Marken on two Wheels

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [342]

I loooove cycling. That's probably the main reason why visiting Amsterdam with my partner has left a deep footprint in my memory. The landscape is flat and full of fairy tale-like gems - definitely one of the best places to explore on two wheels.

There are many cycling routes in and around Amsterdam but having heard of how authentic and pretty Marken is there was no doubt  where we're heading. I'd suggest getting a map of the area, using Google Maps or simply trusting your gut and following cycling signs. I'd recommend starting along the coast and return on the inland route which is also a couple kilometres shorter to make it easier on your legs and bum (unless you're smart enough to bring cycling shorts). That way you also get rewarded with a lovely FREE(!) ferry ride to the main Amsterdam train station at the end. Trust me, life rarely feels better after a whole day's adventure like this.

Pedal break bike was my instant choice not just because it was the cheapest option, but, most importantly, it reminded me of my first ever bike I've owned. As you would expect from a rented bike, this one was quite heavy but sturdy and did its job - it took us all the way to our destination and back completing around 50km including a couple wanderings here and there. On the way, surrounded by water on both sides, we got to experience nature in full view, stop when we wished to capture the beauty around us and have a romantic picnic in the company of a swarm of annoying bugs - it was amazing!

Marken village is known for its traditional Dutch green wooden houses, clog-making and you can also spot local people dressed in traditional old-fashioned clothing (they must've been too busy with their clog-making as we didn't get to spot any).  

If you have patience for detail, a pencil and a piece of paper - Marken is also a great place for architectural drawing. Capturing numerous stripes and roof decorations was such a therapeutic experience. It definitely was a perfect day to do just that, however, the sun was starting to set and we still had to cycle back to Amsterdam preferably before darkness.

Pleasant tiredness and excitement about what a great day's adventure we got to have, all the new things we got to see and experience was visible in our sun-kissed faces. I remember cycling in a bit of pain on the way back through some farm fields during sunset when we spotted a traditional windmill in the distance. It instantly refuelled and inspired to keep on pedalling. 

Tags: amsterdam, clogs, cycling, day trip, history, marken, netherlands, rented bike

 

About curiousme

the leap @ Devil's Dyke, East Sussex, UK

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.