Existing Member?

Getting Out There!

The Road to Chitwan

NEPAL | Monday, 22 October 2012 | Views [537] | Comments [3]

After a 7 1/2 hour rickey bus ride on what seemed to be a one laned road, I arrived at the park entrance.  I was greeted by a nice Nepali man who showed me my jeep which would then bounce me along another very bumpy and dusty road to the lodge.  We passed workers separating rice in the fields for harvest.

The ride out of Kathmandu itself was astounding.  The people in the city where we passed, live in extreme and gross poverty. Poverty that I've only seen safe on my couch at home watching Nat Geo.  The ride was long, and hard, sandwiched amoung families with little ones, and no window seat to take pictures.  The busses seem to have a "manager" on board, who promptly made me move from my first selection which was near a window.  I sat in the first row, aisle. Soon to find out he would sit on the rail directly in front of me blocking my view out of the front of the bus.  Luckily a nice young man sitting at the window next to me turned out to be curious about my traveling alone, and started up a conversation.  "Nirab" my traveling companion for the rest of the ride.  I think he looked after  me from that time on, as when we made stops where we could get off, he schooled me "yes or no" depending on my needs. ;-). He is studying law in Delhi, and hopes to practice in Singapore when is licensed.

The scenery was mixed between mountainous lush vegetation, much what I'm used to at home,  and dirt roads filled with villagers surviving daily life.  It is the women you see carrying the large loads on their backs to the markets. Nirab says the men play cards during the day.  I can't get over the amount of dogs everywhere!  And they appear to be one breed- mutt, that looks much like the Shiba (sp) with the husky like upturned and curled tail.  They are everywhere, mostly laying sleeping in the streets.  I'm told they are "street dogs" that belong to no one in particular, but that everyone throws their garbage to.  Speaking of garbage; it is acceptable to throw your garbage off the bus through the door as it opens, or your window. Not only acceptable, but appreciated by the manager. If a person left the bus without his garbage that was deposited on the floor, the manager would scowl and throw it off the bus after they has departed. I noticed the manager keeping a close eye on me most of the time, and was especially curious of Nirab's and my conversation.

There seems to be one rule for driving here in Nepal; drive as fast as possible, and down the middle is even better. When you want to pass move in position to the rear of the bus, car, or motorbike ahead. About 5 feet is good. Then honk furiously and go like heck. Oncoming traffic yields.  Simple as that. Actually it works quite efficiently here. ;-)

I recommend you come to Nepal sometime for a very interesting, and eye opening bus ride to the Chitwan.  You'll never be the same!  Although I was put on the wrong bus (long story for another day, and at times worried about several things; especially my backpack disappearing from the hold where I could not see it, I wouldn't trade it now for the air conditioned, reclining seats, and comfort of the Tour bus I paid for.  ;-). What an amazing journey!  

Today I am off to join the others on the backs of our elephants into the jungle in search of the rare one horned rhinos. Helping to bathe the elephants after lunch - I don't know yet.  I may choose cold beer in the shade instead.  I've been on the go so much, some down time would be nice.

 

Comments

1

Suzanne,

What an amazing adventure! I hope you chose to bathe an elephant as you can have a beer anytime at home. Love your journal entries ... makes me feel like I am along for the ride!!!

Love ya,
Gail

  Gail Oct 23, 2012 1:51 AM

2

Fantastic Adventure already.... you go, girl.

  Sandi Nov 1, 2012 4:01 AM

3

WOW Girl! What a trip!!! Looking forward to getting together when you return. Did you bathe the elephant?
Love M

  Marilyn Golden Nov 1, 2012 6:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.