Existing Member?

Ridin' with the Rev Modern adventures in an ancient world.

YKK on your Zipper

CHINA | Saturday, 5 December 2009 | Views [786] | Comments [3]

Despite it's great size and encompassing consumerism, China lacks a few things: high quality internet connections, a discernable difference between breakfast and other meals, and good coffee.  With regards to the coffee, my first taste of this disgustingly sweet concoction was at the base of Badaling, the most famous section of the Great Wall.  With the help of sugar and caffeine, I was able to power up the Wall. It didn't make a difference though, because I failed to keep up with my Chinese professor. A fearless mother of two that can strike fear in anyone with a simple stare. At the top, the view was amazing. The yellow haze of progress and pollution had parted to allow the sun to warm our faces. And with every Asian wanting a picture with this grizzly bearded American, my new found friends warmed my heart. Cheesey, yes, but true. By the way, the Chinese like to say qie zi, sounding like "cheese", when pictures are taken. Translated it means eggplant. Interesante. After a few other sites, Beijing was over.

Dalian was next, along with a week of immersion language training. We had a great time in this city by the bay. We were able to catch up with a few friends, have some drinks, have some very 很有意思 food, and fall in love with our beautiful and talented Chinese teachers. I'm in the Dalian airport right now, waiting for our delayed flight to begin check-in. It snowed about an inch last night, and like in Dayton, everyone is freaking out. Here's a tip from a Dayton veteran. Drive slower, turn on your lights, and don't be an idiot. Common sense is lacking on the other side of the world as well, but the difference is that in China, the traffic laws are more like traffic suggestions. Everyone has F1 driver reflexes, but with the signature New York charm. Well, now its off to Xi'an. Cross your fingers for no more further delays.

Tags: airport, beijing, dalian, zipper manufacturer sponsored luggage buggy

Comments

1

hey....i mentioned YKK on zippers the other night...did you get that from me? and i was freaking out because i thought all the clothes would disintegrate? yeah...i'm lovely.

anyway, my grandpappy married a rattlesnake. and cornflaps.

that's all.

p.s. i miss you all a spot. yes, maybe even you.

p.p.s. chinese boys last a max of 3 minutes...

  avoidthenastyones Dec 5, 2009 11:34 PM

2

Hey!
I miss you!
I just came home from Mexico/Guatemala/Belize and am I'm New Orleans. It's rainy and wet but you and I are COMING BACK. You would LOVE it.

Love,
Murs

  Murs Dec 8, 2009 5:42 AM

3

Seriously I don't even rate a mention. By the way your daughter says hello.

  joshuapatterson23 Dec 10, 2009 1:31 AM

About cross


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.