Existing Member?

Expect The Unexpected "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

The “MAGIC” has begun...(Auckland to Wellington)

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 12 January 2010 | Views [665]

Auckland to Rotorua:

On January 6th I started my Magic Bus adventure; we began with a quick picture stop at the top of Mt. Eden then headed onwards to Rotorua.   The trip continued through The Bay of Islands for a drop off point in Thames for connecting passengers to the Coromandel.  It was only a quick stop and I grabbed a latte and sandwich from a café for the road.  Another photo stop in Paeroa for a chance to have my picture taken beside the “world famous in New Zealand” L&P Bottle (stands for Lemon and Paeroa – a popular NZ soft drink).  Next stop we let all the Lord of the Rings fans get dropped off for the “Hobbiton Tour.”  The drive reminded me of the Okanagan Valley, with rolling hills and lush green farmland, but it was very distinctive in color green everywhere with beautiful purple flowers.  This was similar to what I found in Auckland too; the suburbs with historic white bungalow houses, large fences, green shrubbery and large purple flowers.  Back to the tour…we arrived in Rotorua late afternoon the last stop before the hostels being a Maori historical center where we were given a short history of the aboriginal people of NZ.  While in Rotorua for a few days I explored the lakefront, Government Gardens, The Polynesia Spa, The Redwood Forest and Kuirau Park.  The latter two were the standouts for me and both were free activities!  The Redwood Forest was about a 40 minute walk from my hostel along a geothermal pathway.  Geysers, boiling mud and the strong scent of sulphur accompanied my walk until I reached the entrance to the park.  A fresh air haven full of California Redwood trees towered above as I set out on a 2 hour trek up the mountainside.   Meandering in and out of the forest on the sandy white path there were beautiful native trees and vegetation along the way.  The view point looked down at Rotorua with a bird’s eye view of the town center and volcanic action below.  Though the forest was beautiful and it did remind me of the many forest walks I took on random days in Tofino…I must admit it was not as impressive (old/large) as Cathedral Grove, Lonecone or Meares.

A walk through Kuairu Park was also a unique experience.  It is a public park in Rotorua filled with more Geysers, boiling mud and hot pools. I ended up there a few times during my time there.  The hostel I stayed at was a lot nicer than in Auckland; it was like a big comfy house and the staff there were great.  The bed was even comfortable!!!  Crash Palace proved to be a great a place to crash for a couple nights.

 

Rotorua to Taupo:

Leaving Rotorua we had an impromptu stop at our driver’s mother’s Angora Rabbit Shearing Shed.  The thing to remember about this: it doesn’t hurt them and if they aren’t sheared they will die.  An interesting experience all in all.  Next we stopped in Waitomo for a few hours.  I toured the glowworm cave by foot and boat.  Although learning that these glowing green creatures were not in fact worms but maggots was not exactly comforting as I walked beneath them in the dark cave, it was a very cool experience – they even pointed out their abstract interpretations of the caves (a family, elephant, bird upside down, choir and cathedral.  Heading along the backroads into Taupo through numerous switchbacks we reached the Huka Falls viewpoint for a few pictures.  This was a highlight for me since I can’t get enough of waterfalls and the aqua color of the water.  Arriving in Taupo we could see the lake for miles, vit is larger than Singapore, and before it erupted over 26 500 years ago it was taller than Mt. Everest.  I didn’t partake in too much action here in Taupo (although known as the Sky Dive Capital of the World) just relaxed and took in the beauty of the area.  I did the walk back up to Huka Falls and area for an afternoon.  Sadly my lovely allergies decided to come back with a vengeance and I was forced to head back to the hostel.  Not the end of the world…..I then ended up at the hostel lounge chatting with peeps on other tours and those who partook in the Tongariro Alpine Crossing(one of the best day hikes in NZ).  I will do this on my way back though (unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and I was not able to go the next day). 

Taupo to Wellington:

Not an overly exciting trip.  This portion covered half the north island in one day so it was predominantly a full day on the bus (not so bad since it was rainy and cool).  The landscape did change as we drove long Desert Road (although not an actual desert – this area was covered in an abundance of volcanic ash which rendered the soil infertile).  We did have a photo stop to see Mt. Doom (LOTR),  a lunch stop at Flat Hills Café (yummy lamb burger) and finally at the top of Mt. Victoria in Wellington before being dropped at the hostel.  The views from the top of Mt. Victoria were nice, everything there in Welly is build on the hills reminiscent of San Francisco due to historical flooding.  Back in the city there is not too much on the itinerary except visiting the national museum (Te Papa) and planning the next part of my trip.  It is getting really busy on the south island so it seems I will be forced to put a little advance planning and bookings in place.    

About courtneycarmen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.