Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 65 - Last Night

NEPAL | Thursday, 17 April 2008 | Views [421]

I was stuck with the hard decision of how to make the most of my last day in Nepal. So after taking the easy option of sleeping in, I hit up a juice bar for some mueslie and a mango smoothie. Then realised I hadnt paid for the plane ticket yet, and ran to the office to fix everything up. The airline company tried to chuck on some extra taxes they hadnt mentioned but the secretary went off, haggling them back down. It was crazy as I was paying 280US for a 625US ticket and yet here she was arguing over the extra 5 bucks. Great lady.

Ditched some trekking gear at the office for later use. Ravi hadn't come in yet so I went for an afternoon siesta before coming back to say goodbye. He insisted that we go out for dinner and I couldn't decline, though I'd just had a massive late lunch. Did some hectic packing (more siesta) before rushing to be on time for dinner at 7pm. I ordered a drink as I was a little early. At 7:45pm I was getting my hunger back and considered leaving for an elcheapo street snack when Ravi came in, son in tow. Id expected him to be late so it was ok but he still apologised a lot. He was taking me out for a farewell meal and apologizing?? I told him I wasn't overly hungry so dont order much food, but he ignored me and I barely got through the momos entree. To make everything harder for me to eat it was his day of fasting - no meats. And his kid hadn't bothered to tell him he had already eaten until halfway through me meal. So I was stuck with the momos and half a crispy chicken as well as the rice, noodles and veg that Ravi kept chucking on my plate. By the time the whole meal was over I was bloated like a balloon. Thankfully he gave me a lift back to the hotel and I thanked him over and over for being so nice and a great host.

The hotel guys weren't happy that I'd gone out for dinner as they'd presumed I'd chuck a farewell party and buy them all beer/juice. Stiff, I had to go pack! I was amazed how much stuff I had, though I think I had brought it all with me from Aus.

All in all I am a little sad and happy to be leaving Nepal. I will miss a lot of things - the food, people, bars and just the fact I have really settled into Thamel - know where everything is and the prices etc. Will be hard to change. But there are things I wont miss - the beggars (they will most likely follow), street kids, barking dogs at night, no beef and the dick in the CD shop outside my hotel who is always playing james blunt.

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.