Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 37 - Locked Out

NEPAL | Thursday, 20 March 2008 | Views [253] | Comments [1]

I am already sick of Thamel and very keen to go trekking! There is not a great deal happening around the office but I will pick up my group from the airport on saturday. The trek starts on monday, so I am excited yet am dreading the 6-9 hours of trekking after all the beer and food I have eaten over the past month!

Chilling out in a pub overlooking the street, I met a 25 year old pom who had spent a year in India. Having only been in Nepal for a day he was interested to find out more from me and it was good to speak English again! We did a bit of a pub-crawl, with several rounds of Everest seeing us in a pub talking to some other poms, a german and a few hot belgium chicks. We had the traveler feeling going, where you have only met the people just a moment ago but you chat away like old friends! There was a few really funny moments, the main one being guessing my age. After a general consensus of 24-25 I cracked up laughing and they were quick to suggest I was over 30! They didn't believe me when I said I was just seventeen. From now on I am travelling as a post-uni student though I am yet to think of a cool course to have graduated from! Any suggestions?

I had planned an early night but around 1am we said our farewells before hitting up the one bakery still open. Wandering down my street, I had great difficulty trying to find the side-street to my hotel. That was because the actual street had been closed off like all the shops - a rolling garage door was blocking me 30m from the guest house! A few drunken whistles and calls of "Open Sesame" didn't get me anywhere, so I began to panic slightly as I was locked out in the street at 1am in the morning with nowhere to go! Rushing back to the pub, everyone I had spoken to had gone so I couldn't crash their floors. Luckily I stumbled upon a guest house that was just closing and managed to get a room! I dont want to think of what would have happened had I been left alone on the streets - Thamel is not a particularly hospitable place at night!

Comments

1

You drunken bum!

  counsell Mar 22, 2008 4:35 PM

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.