Existing Member?

crissTcross

I Love Israel

ISRAEL | Saturday, 8 March 2008 | Views [463] | Comments [1]

Hey Everyone,
 
I wanted to apologies to everyone for being so vague about my last month and a half here in Israel.  I have been sending updates about the conflict between the Arabs and Israel, but not how great and safe my trip has been.  I am very passionate about politics and interaction between people groups, not because I am afraid of something happening to me, but to see god in the situations.  also, to be informed on how to pray.
 
I spent the month of February with a lovely Messianic Family (Christian Jewish family) who live near Tiberias and the Sea of Galilee.  I saw tons of archaeological dis and historical sites.  Great hiking around that area and I even had the opportunity to visit a great Vineyard in the Golan heights as well as sledding in the snow on Mount Hermon.
 
I visit a young adults bible study that was in Hebrew my first day staying with them and it was completely in Hebrew.  It was great though because they had a translator for the three of us English speakers.  Several of the songs I recognised and started singing in English, so afterwards several people asked me if I new Hebrew because I was singing.  It was very encouraging to meet all of them and hear how different it is for them in such a Jewish, Muslim, or secular only society.
 
I am picking up on some hebrew words and phraises.  I would love to come and live here for a time and learn Hebrew.  To read God's word in the original text and not someones translation of it.  Who knows what doors the Lord will open.
 
I have also been very brave and taken buses everywhere.  For those who know how shy I used to be when I was a freshman in high school, then you would understand how big that is for me.  I have learned to say destinations in Hebrew and not English.  Sea of Galilee is the Kinneret, etc.  I did get very lost one day and stuck in Nazareth becuase I couldn't find the right bus or read hebrew.  But the Lord provided me with a very expensive taxi, lol.  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  The Lord is very good at humbling me and teaching me to relax and rely completely on him.  Very good lessons to learn.
 
Life in Israel is similar in some ways to America, but there is more of a sense of dropping in and visiting one another more.  There produce is so amazing here.  Like picking an apple off the tree good!  The cost of living is high though and the salaries are lower than minimum wage in the states.  Those with degrees get paid less than a house keeper or tutor.  So debt is almost as high as the states here.
 
The sense of safety is very high here.  Even with Gaza and Lebanon, etc.  It is just a way of life to live each day because war is always nearby.  I actually feel safer here than in the staes because crime is lower.  There is terrorism, but not in the main parts of Israel.  Also you see soldiers everywhere.  On the buses, shopping, etc.  Everyone joins the military for 3 years after high school, unless you are married or hessidic jew.
 
Now I am in Kefar Yona near Netanya on the coast.  The Lord lead me to a family here that works with Chosen Peoples ministries and the father is in the states fundraising and speaking with churches about praying for Israel.  They have a 2 month old baby gril, 4 year old boy, and a 7 year old girl.  So, I am helping out untill the father returns.  I am loving taking care of an infant again.  She is so sweet and precious.  The boy understands english, but only speaks hebrew, so it has been interesting, but i can go off of yes and no answers with him.  The older girl loves Jewish folk dancing and has been trying to teach me. 
 
I am also loving the tradition of shabbat meal.  The lighting of the candles, prayer. singing, and breaking bread and drinking wine together. L'chaim to Life!
 
Well, I am gonna go take care of the baby now.  God bless!  I will write better updates later.
Crystal

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Wow you are so lucky! I would love to visit Israel.

  Nancy Mar 8, 2008 2:14 PM

About copperscrl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.