Existing Member?

Gone Again It is a long drive from Colorado to Panama and back. Anything can happen.

Back Home

USA | Tuesday, 19 February 2008 | Views [857]

Whooping cranes  Aransas NWR, Texas

Whooping cranes Aransas NWR, Texas

After we crossed into Texas we spent a couple of days at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge.  This is where the whooping cranes hang out in the US.  There are only about 500 world-wide and it is a treat to see even a couple of them.  Then it was on to Houston to visit John's brother.  He and Connie nearly share a birthday and we had a joint celebration.  It is amazing how quickly you get used to civilization.  You can drink the water, flush toilet paper, and expect hot showers.  You can even read the menu and understand the language.

We even went to a movie.  The Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman won't be a revelation to you who travel the world but it should be an inspiration for the rest of you.  It's not that travel is essential but living your life as if it is finite (and it is) and the end is near (and it might be) makes a lot of sense.  It is a "life is short - eat dessert first" kind of thing.  Anyhow, we squeezed each others hands and smiled silently.  We have had our own 'bucket list' for years and as we cross something out we usually find another to add.

We arrived home around 2:30 and had everything unpacked and put away in an hour.  It will take longer to do the laundry though.  So we are staying for a while - maybe until fall.  If you are coming to Colorado let us know.  If you want to contact us try john17connie@juno.com  As Roy and Dale would sing, "Happy Trails to You!"

Tags: Family

About connieandjohn

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.